Brown, Green And Purple Patches

• SRC Member

I have all three growing in my tank at the moment. The brown ones, which are diatoms in my case can be removed easily with a sponge pad. the red ones (cyanobacteria) with a syphon. The green ones re-appear the fastest after cleaning...and seem to be the most difficult ones to remove.

I have tried to control their growth and spread by adding turbo snails (which took out the brown ones on the rock and glass) and shortening the photoperiod to 10hrs (which seem to be working in keeping both brown and red algae in check)...

Have noticed a small (green bean size) patch of coralline algae growing on the side panel of my tank... is it possible to scrap it off the glass and transfer it to a rock? will it work that way?

• SRC Member

does your purple algae look like this?

post-21-1065265422.jpg

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

does your green algae look like the one on the glass or on the rock?

post-21-1065265595.jpg

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

or maybe ur brown algae looks like this... on your sandbed?

post-21-1065266720.jpg

• SRC Member

the 1st pic i posted... the purple wavy thing on the sand..

• SRC Member

ya the one u see on the rock... purple one... thats coraline.. ;)