Does this really work?

TTBoy

• SRC Member

Nitrate Reductor

The Nitrate Reductor is designed specifically for safe nitrate removal. Filled with Bactoballs for a huge amount of surface area, nitrate-reducing bacteria are easily maintained and fed using the enclosed Denimar tablets for precise dosing. The unit also features probe mounts for use with an ORP controller so that the bacteria can be fed in exact relation to NO3 levels. Deniballs can also provide automatic feeding for independence from chemical feeding methods (none included.) Place inside the tank, beside it, or in a sump. Comes complete with re-circulating pump. 6.4"L x 6.4"W x 20.8"H.

post-14-1037852386.jpg

Hi TTBoy,

If you can't have space in your tank for a cheap NNR method using DSB, then you can resort to this expensive method of AENR method... ;)

'Artificial Expensive Nitrate Reducing' method.. heh.. I just coined this up!

AT

• SRC Member

TTBoy,

Aquamedic denitrators work if you follow the instructions and tune it properly and remember to top up the deniballs.

DSB is cheaper and less of a hassle though. As the good man said...

There are only 2 ways to do something! The right way, the wrong way and the Max power way!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

newdamsel,

the small white ball is seems to be some de-nitrification bacteria culture, as in here butta in solid form :unsure: cos u shouldn't open up and clean the denitrator (as i gather, someone to comment pls)

there hv some other funny names in mandarin, like "black medicine water" (literally) o idea what the x it's ;)

as for the oxygen rich incoming water, i figure if u hv a long enuf airline tube to feed into it, it should help to reduce the oxygen level. here is my 5min poor-man style DIY denitrator :lol:

airline tube 4m - $2

those tall CNY biscuit container - $1.80

silicon sealant - $4.40

bioballs (1 bag) - $9

180l pump - $14

a denitrator look-alike for $31.20 :lol: if it works , currently testing in my overcrowded tank for 2 days liao. seems no big diff yet <_<

post-6-1037884858.jpg

• SRC Member
TTBoy,

Aquamedic denitrators work if you follow the instructions and tune it properly and remember to top up the deniballs.

DSB is cheaper and less of a hassle though. As the good man said...

The good man? *cough* *cough* *cough*

Okay I have nothing personally against Dr. R.S so I'll shut up now :blink:

• SRC Member
Hey Spade,

What about a step by step DIY instructional thread under the DIY forum...

That will be Great!!!!  :lol:

Phang,

juz need to drill 2 holes at the top of the container (i juz poke it using a screwdriver :lol:, i got no hand drill) and fixed up the tube with silicon. glued the airline tube to the pump as well and a regulator (those air pump type) at the outlet of the container to control the water flow. roughly abt 1 drop per second. anyway, i think this toy is too small for yr 5ft :D . this idea is taken from ph84 except i've a longer input line to reduce the oxygen into the container (if it works ;) )

anyone know how long does the denitrator need to establish itself??? it still not showing any result yet (after 5 days, impatient liao <-- newbie syndrome).... <_< right way, left way, all the way ...

• SRC Member
newdamsel,

the small white ball is seems to be some de-nitrification bacteria culture, as in here butta in solid form :unsure: cos u shouldn't open up and clean the denitrator (as i gather, someone to comment pls)

there hv some other funny names in mandarin, like "black medicine water" (literally) o idea what the x it's ;)

as for the oxygen rich incoming water, i figure if u hv a long enuf airline tube to feed into it, it should help to reduce the oxygen level. here is my 5min poor-man style DIY denitrator :lol:

airline tube 4m - $2

those tall CNY biscuit container - $1.80

silicon sealant - $4.40

bioballs (1 bag) - $9

180l pump - $14

a denitrator look-alike for $31.20 :lol: if it works , currently testing in my overcrowded tank for 2 days liao. seems no big diff yet <_<

For what I have gatherde, the de-nitrification bacteria will only kick in after a mth or so.

So 2 days is unlikely gona show any effect.

Think there is suppose to be some bioballs in the container? I've seen a few DIY ones, and the outlet from the coil goes into the containner at the bottom, and another pipe is drilled to the bottle cap. ;)

Just a thought :huh:

• SRC Member
those little white balls are actually this

zerocool,

i put airline tube outside cos it's soft and i afraid it got stuck/squeezed inside the bottle due to the bioballs :o wow .. a months .... that seems loooooooooong :huh:

Oic. :blink: Blur me. Anyway, do update us on the result in a mth's time

Tt's abt the time need for most bacteria to havea good amt in most tank.

Can speed up by borrowing L.S. from mature tanks;

Or liquid bacteria?? [Got mixed reviews here ] ;)

• SRC Member

Spade, did you get those white balls??? i think those are necessary, i think it has been discussed in the forum b4. If so where? or do you have some to spare? can get it off you to share the cost...There was a debate on what actually the nitrate reducing bacterias eat what.. nitrate or the food provided (white balls)

Anyway, it would help if the equipment is placed in a dark or even no light place... I thinking of DIY one even though i have a DSB in my refugium... the more the merrier right?