4ft Tank's Glass Bend

doom

• SRC Member

Notice that my 4ft tank's glass (in front) was bending out (aprrox. middle of the glass curl out) when looking at the tank from side way. Has been using this tank for about 6 years.

Please advise is it natural for glass to appear bending out? Or is it dued to long term usage and water pressure that caused it.

Thanks. :D

That's called 'bowing'!

Do you have a centre brace? Some freshwater tanks are made of thin glass and cheap silicon.

If your tank has one and its bowing... something is very wrong.. perhaps the silicon has already torn off and the brace is no longer providing any support in holding the middle part of the front and back walls!

You have to be extra careful not to add any more pressure onto the glass walls or you'll have a disaster.

If you want peace of mind... get a tank built for marine, usually with thicker glass and braced to hold in the weight and pressure of the thick sandbed and heavy rocks that pose a risk to FW thin-walled glass tanks.

• SRC Member
That's called 'bowing'!

Do you have a centre brace? Some freshwater tanks are made of thin glass and cheap silicon.

If your tank has one and its bowing... something is very wrong.. perhaps the silicon has already torn off and the brace is no longer providing any support in holding the middle part of the front and back walls!

You have to be extra careful not to add any more pressure onto the glass walls or you'll have a disaster.

If you want peace of mind... get a tank built for marine, usually with thicker glass and braced to hold in the weight and pressure of the thick sandbed and heavy rocks that pose a risk to FW thin-walled glass tanks.

Thanks all,

Mine got no euro bracing nor centre brace. sigh!

Afraid that it might just bend and break.

Was now sourcing for a 4ft tank, hope my tank will be able to last till my new one arrived.

BTW, can advise where to get a 4ft tank with better quality and reasonable price?

Thanks alot. :D

One of my tanks...10 yrs old 4 footer passed down from my dad to me had this problem...

After I emptied the tank and tugged lightly on the center brace...it just came off! :blink:

Lucky I changed the tank in time. :D

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

One of my tanks...10 yrs old 4 footer passed down from my dad to me had this problem...

After I emptied the tank and tugged lightly on the center brace...it just came off! :blink:

Lucky I changed the tank in time. :D

lucky u.. :)

so where n how much u got your tank.??

lucky u.. :)

so where n how much u got your tank.??

Can't remember...think was around $500 for metal stand....6mm glass side...base I think is 10mm...

I know I got ripped off..but that was 2-3 years ago...oh well.. <_<

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Perhaps chk out how much for the 12mm ones. Once and for all just do it lah.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Is euro bracing required at one the top end of the tank or issit required for both the bottom and the top end of the tank?

If already have euro bracing , still need centre brace?

Long tanks >5 ft that are wide (2.5ft to 3ft) are advisable to have a centre brace.

You can do away with the centre brace and even eurobracing provided your tank walls are very thick like 20mm, using the best grade silicon DC 795 (expensive) like AquaTechnique tanks but they will cost you a BIG BOMB! ;)

I have a centre brace as well as eurobracing. I prefer eurobracing as it prevents water from sloshing out of the tank. I wish I could get away without a centre brace but my tank is 3ft wide and I need peace of mind! ;)

if more then 2 ft high go get euro 2. just get what ever u can cos this will give u a piece of mind know ur tank wont split. after all its the MOST important part of ur aquarium

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself