suntec tank condition

Rocky99

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had a friendly chat with Alfie from CoralReef and we both agreed that it is in the better interest of all parties to resolve this in the same friendly manner that CoralReef has originally intended.

They recognize that many of the posters in this thread meant well and are of good intentions to see things improve for the livestock.

It is also good to see the level of passion some individuals exhibited to MAKE something happen and they did!

Unfortunately, things ran its course and was ill-timed such that BH's letter to the ST Forum got published before things could be discussed amiably so CoralReef has to come under legal advisement now.

As we now work together to see how all parties can walk away in a cordial manner, let us respect that CR is approaching this in a friendly & open manner and therefore those involved should reciprocate.

The rules and regulations, terms and conditions have been long since laid out as compliance to keeping your membership account.

SRC's involvement, as a club, in this matter was strictly non-existent until an hour ago when this particular issue (which didn't come to the attention of the mods by the people involved) as I only knew about this issue about 30 mins ago.

It is clearly very limited to just a few individuals commenting on what they have seen and what they feel (and a few who took drastic action as individuals).

This is very different from how SRC took a collective public stand against the Nemo Craze.

It is fair however, that if CR feel suspect about some postings and garnered that they were meant to slander and cause damage, then you, the individuals involved, will be liable to explain yourself.

May I take this opportunity to remind everyone that the web is a great place for commmunication and sharing but also a place that words are preserved for immortality (more or less) so do watch what you say and how you say things.

We have long emphasized the need to be clear-worded so as to not convey the wrong meaning in written communications.

SRC and its mods do our best to maintain the peace here in SRC and our duties are limited to just that (besides our noble goals of promoting the reefkeeping hobby in SG).

Everyone can be made liable for slander and libel (IF first proven in a court of law).

The so-called anonymity on the internet is untrue... if subpoenaed, even the ISPs can be made to trace every data packet back to your PC.

So do be mindful of your words.

Let's hope that all parties involved can be happy and of course, the livestock in the centre of this debate! ;)

Ok guys, I'm the one who wrote to ST about this issue

I have called up Alfie today to clarify things and he has expressed interest in garnering help from us hobbyists on how to better maintain the system.

I just want to say that on my side, Alfie had given me a very comprehensive explaination about the whole issue and I urge all who posted in this thread to give Alfie a call to clarify things.

Like Conrad had mentioned, this issue should have already given us a wake up call that every post we made can have an impact and can be used as evidence against us.

All in all, I wish to express my deepest apologies to Suntec if my letter to ST had affected them in any way. But if you think about it, had I not written to them, someone else will and I'm sure Suntec will make a public clarification and put this matter to rest.

In conclusion, I hope that the tank will go on well and should the maintenance team need any help from me, they can always PM me.

Cheers

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

dunno whether will kena sue if i post non-tank relation comments :evil:

juz a timestamp of when things happen.

Opening post was started on 4th Dec 2005

Coral Reef Aq posted on 10th Dec 2005

Up to until 10th Dec 2005, we had no idea or wat so ever whom is the

company maintaining the tank. unless some of us already knew

beforehand, else i would safely assume that non of us here know

that Coral Reef is the co until 10th Dec. Hence, all we are commenting

abt before 10th Dec (including writing to ST) is all directed at a boggy

company. even if later found out that company is ah-kong lao lee

company, we will also comment and write to ST without reserve. :evil:

dun understand wat this world "singapore" is coming to ...

su-ka su-ka sue here and sue there ...

cant even keep politics out of a simple hobby ...

i dunno how the mod see it, but it seems to me that the post by CR

seems over-done. do you mean that now we know that CR

is the company, we are not able to talk abt the suntec tank to any

other, except CR? next time u noe i go pooh also must ask :evil:

I'm confused .. neber take law so dunno wat is the implication ...

all i know is that the fish had die in the tank,

is this a slanderous statement? i dunno, u tell me ...

• SRC Member

:o

very interesting.. after CR posted about the sueing case. seems like BH and some are standing aside. Although it is good to clarify matters in persons. And it would be more appropriate to do so in future before posting to avoid any conflict or misunderstanding.

But if you posted what you have seen is true.. then slandering does not take place.

BH has posted what he saw or most saw it personnally. And it would be better if pictures are taken. Then stand by what you said. and if it is wrong then apologise. Not because of that last reply, you got shudder. And even if slandering does take place that it affect their business or reputation, then they must prove it in the court of law that their business are affected by your remarks. (That is not an easy tasks)

However, the post in ST, the wording may not be appropriately described.

"Not well maintained" this has a very strong implication. What do you mean by not well-maintained? No one maintain it? or what is your standard in the word "maintain"?

It is very universal word and very agrumentative.

It would be better if he used the words "Marine Corals and Fishes not in good condition"

Just my thoughts.

:peace:

• SRC Member

bros Reefaholic .. U R GOOD !!!

i did read the post but did not break the word down till that level :lol:

maybe to us layman,

"LS die/dieing" = "stress/poor water cond" = "not well maintained"

its like doing maths lor ... A=B=C .. therefore A=C

Regarding the ST article, I wrote to them a couple of days ago before CR came up to clarify and the letter was only published today.

And I just want to say that the title of the letter is given by ST, not me :)

Since CR had clarified things and we got what we wanted and that they are willing to talk things out, I think it's about time we discontinue this thread.

And those who had posted in this thread pls give Alfie a call as he wants to clarify things with you all.

• SRC Member
Regarding the ST article, I wrote to them a couple of days ago before CR came up to clarify and the letter was only published today.

Since CR had clarified things and we got what we wanted and that they are willing to talk things out, I think it's about time we discontinue this thread.

And those who had posted in this thread pls give Alfie a call as he wants to clarify things with you all.

:huh::o

Sorry BH, i think not many have school Holiday. Must wait till christmas. :lol:

No seriously, Alfie wants a call from you guys

May I know what was the title you gave when you send your email or letter to ST?

"Marine tank at Suntec" or something similar

• SRC Member

bros BH,

To some of us, there is no need to call CR for any clarification

either from them or from us. The best they can do is to show us

the result of the tank. The best we can do AT THIS POINT IN TIME

is to stop this discussion and let CR do their work.

cheers

Yes, we should discontinue this thread and I'll not post anymore

But Alfie had asked me to inform you guys to call him so the decision is up to you :)

Cheers to all and have a Merry Christmas

• SRC Member

Hmmm...... cr gonna sue?!

I believe everyone that post in this thread have a passion for reefing. I respect the fact that cr is coming clean to announce that they are the ones maintaining the tank. If my/our remarks may in one way or another effect their business, i believe that the display tank is affecting Suntec city even more.

I am here as a hobbyist who is passionate about this hobby would not say that my remarks is right or wrong cause it is up to every individual to agree or disagree.

Some choose to wait and see what happen while some do something about it. And I admit in my previous post that I also wrote to ST just like BH only that it was not published.

All have been said and done so I think that there should not be a need to further discuss this issue.

Regards

• SRC Member

Supposing I am a tourist and see the tank...

I have no idea who made or maintains the tank. Physically, it is located at ###### shopping centre. I wrote a letter to the press and the centre about the plight of the fish. The press decided to publish it. Can the maker of the tank sue me for anything?

I am puzzled. Better check with my lawyer friend on this.

I think (marine) therefore I am

Hi All,

To begin with, I would like to thank moderators of Singapore Reef Club for contacting me yesterday to explain their stand on this issue.

Secondly, I would also like to thank Dickson or rather BH for contacting me and explain the misunderstanding due to the timing of the mail he sent out to ST.

Anyway, I would like to inform everyone of my maintenance team for the tank at Suntec City. We have engaged Aquarist Domain to manage our maintenance since December 05. The tank was not set-up by them so it takes awhile for them to get tank conditions settled down. Benson Soo is heading the entire maintenance team for this project.

This are some of his credentials:

Geylang Police station

Mount Elizabeth Hospital

New Direction

NTUC Supermarket-Tampines Mall

SAFRA Clubhouse

Singapore Swimming Club

Sultan of Brunei

Singapore Science Centre

Sungei Buloh Nature Park

Wisma Atria Foodcourt

World Trade Centre-Expo Gateway

Yunnan View Restaurant

Bloomberg LP

Bermuda Trust (Singapore) Ltd

Chase Manhatten Bank

Hitachi Zasen Singapore Ltd

Metro Holdings

Merrill Lynch International

National Westminster Bank

Ngee Ann Polytechnic

Staco Investment Bank

Swiss Bank Corporation

Sinar Mas Group

Shell Eastern Petroleum

Singapore Tobacco Co.

Union Bank of Switzerland

UBS Securities (S) Pte Ltd

UIC Technologies Pte Ltd

Temasek Holdings-Mdm Ho Ching

NTUC Tower-Minister Lim Boon Heng

Mr Fong- Chairman of S'pore Aquarium Fish Export & Association

Traders Hotel-Seafood Display

Shangri-La Hotel

Tung Lok-East Coast

Carlton Hotel-Seafood Display

United Square- Food Court

Red Swastika School

Singapore Zoological Gardens

Catholic High School

SAF Yatch Club

The above are some of his credentials to his name. I would like to highlight one thing that is we are not here to create enemies but instead we hope to listen to advice from you guys. We understand that all of you might be worried for the fishes and corals in the tank but it will take some time for everything to settle down. In the meantime, please feel free to contact us for any queries or give us any advice on improvements.

Best Regards,

Alfie Gan

Regional Business Manager

Mobile: 91066699

alfiegan@aquarium-media.com

Head Office:

Aquarium Media Singapore

100 Beach Road, #27-04

Shaw Tower

S(189702)

Tel: (65) 6297 9006

Fax:(65) 6297 9008

Singapore:

Coral Reef Aquarium Manufacturer Pte Ltd

218 Tagore Lane

S(787599)

Tel: (65) 6841 7357 Fax: (65) 6842 6861

Malaysia:

Yek Fong Aquarium Accessories SDN. BHD.

45, Jalan SR 1/9, Seksyen 9,

Jalan Serdang Raya

Taman Serdang Raya,

43300 Seri Kembangan,

Selangor Darul Ehsan

Tel: 603-8941 1452

Fax: 603-8941 3544

China:

Bao Fong Aquarium Manufacturer

No. 42, Xianlong Road, Haizhou Gu Town, ZhongShan City

GuangDong, China

Tel: 86-760-2361580

Fax: 86-760-2361500

• SRC Member

Oh din know Benson is doing the maintanence... ya he's a great guy... know him for so many yrs and his knowledge for tank setups irregardless of wat kind is just never ending! :yeah:

2 thumbs up for Benson! :bow:

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

If put in Cleaner/blood shrimp good idea for the blue tangs ? dun know bigger fish will eat them ?

Or Doc fish ? but read that they dun live long ?

Righ side tank got 2 lion fish & 1 lobster(i think its call lobster)

This kind of reminds me how a shop at clementi kena "talk" till jar-luck jar-luck. either here or another forum.

I had to time to sit back and watch everyone say their piece.

Sadly for some involved, what happened is either bad-timing, deserved or simply plain bad luck.

No use griping about who said what, when and why. It has already happened. I hope the parties involved will do what's right and do what's honourable.

The motives of those who started this were not malicious (at least to all who know them) and they meant well. It has not taken an unhappy turn yet (so therefore pls don't add pepper and salt pls), so let's remain in this vein.

CR could have been nasty or rude but they have held their head high and taken the trouble to explain the situation so lets give them the space to do so.

I don't think they are as sue-happy as the Americans. They are just under legal advicement and so far probably waiting for a few individuals who never think before they talk to make a mistake on statements that WILL get them sued.

Don't make that error in judgment pls... as for the rest of us, its ok to vent on the poor conditions but as long as we know that the rest of the public is watching this issue closely, then I am sure the company or personel involved will have a lot to prove for their own reputation.

I take it as some of you who spoke up have done good for the hobby but perhaps if alternative measures such as writing in to the company first before complaining in a public newspaper could have been the better route. ;)

Anyway, BH and all who did write in, we know your intentions and I salute your guts, passion and determination to make a difference.

CR, you have my respect for not being nasty and maintaining good PR as a company.

Let's hope we can turn something bad into something good... you know the saying... any publicity, (given bad ones), is good publicity! ;)

Cheers!

• SRC Member
Yes, we should discontinue this thread and I'll not post anymore

But Alfie had asked me to inform you guys to call him so the decision is up to you :)

Cheers to all and have a Merry Christmas

Young boy now people know what kind of person u r so next time don't play with fire. :P

6x2.5x2.5 (GEO AQUATIC)

Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000Baby

Aquamedic NR1000

Aquamedic KR1000

Aquamedic Niveaumat

Aquamedic Ozone

RM Fluidised Reactor

Tunze 6060x3

Resun C1000

Aqualight 2x250w + 150w MH

I'm sure BH has already learnt a lesson in timing and also a lesson on human nature, both good.... and bad, exhibited here in this thread.

Now I would kindly ask those not involved to back off from commenting on this issue.

Anyone continuing to harassing BH or those who have written to the press will be deemed as wanting to breach the peace and violating the Golden Rules here in SRC.

• SRC Member
Don't make that error in judgment pls... as for the rest of us, its ok to vent on the poor conditions but as long as we know that the rest of the public is watching this issue closely, then I am sure the company or personel involved will have a lot to prove for their own reputation.

Now I would kindly ask those not involved to back off from commenting on this issue.

AT, r u referring to the same pt with the above 2 quotes?

So can vent or cannot vent? :evil:

Anyway, BH and all who did write in, we know your intentions and I salute your guts, passion and determination to make a difference.

guts got nothing to do with it. A clear conscience in the heart is enough.