Can someone ID the anemone?

May&Bruce

• SRC Member

Can someone ID this anemone for me? I assume that it is a common BTA, but please just confirm. I would also like to know the scientific name for this specific anemone, if someone can tell me that.

had it for a week, and my two clowns adopted it immediately :)

post-72-1133490944.jpg

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member

Common BTA

where u got it from? seems bleached..

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member

thanks guys.

Had it about a week - got from reborn. Yep, it does look a little bleached but otherwise I thought it looks quite healthy. It is anchored itself on a LR immediately below the light, and has not moved from there for a week, so that is a good sign, right? Water flow is good, but I need to improve the lighting. Now I just have one 18W PL, which has one white tube and one blue tube.

Am thinking of increasing the lighhting to one 18W fully white PL and one 18W blue PL....what do you think?

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

How often to feed such an anemone and what to feed it? Have heard that it should be fed market prawn every 3-4 days. Correct?

Try to do some reading over at WetWebMedia. I gathered that it is always better to underfeed than overfeed.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

May&Bruce,

Not an expert or exp reefer (yet).

But... I think lighting a little low...

My tank's current quite slow so my 2 nemos

got no anemone to play with. :erm:

slcw,

I tot actinics are for colour like softies !?

(was wondering if it applied to anemones too.)

actinics does not nothing but to serve ur eyes. most books recommend 6500k for growth, but too yellow, so mix actinic to disfuse the yellowness.

not sure if the direction would be use 6500K MH when no one in, then when u come back, MH off and actinic comes on. this way u prolong the actinic's useful life and 6500k MH is cheaper than higher Ks. plus 6500k i believe has higher intensity

Here's something on actinic that I just read about from WWM:

each photosynthetic animal has various zooxanthellae that respond to different wavelengths of light, so if you use full spectrum lighting it ensures that all of those different wavelengths are covered, but in varying degrees of wattage as the bulbs wattage is divided among the wavelengths. actinic over produces one wavelength at full strength because it doesn't have to produce any others. Actinic's wavelength of 420nm is very crucial for photosynthesis, but it cannot be the only wavelength for photosynthesis or animals would starve in nature since actinic is so specific. actinic is more to outweigh the yellow effect that most daylight bulbs get over time as they age or the 6500's have normally. The lighting mimics the sun so it has to be yellowish to get all the wavelengths. Your 10,00k bulbs lose the yellows and operate at a higher color temperature that still supplies enough various full spectrum lighting to ensure photosynthesis. you really do not need actinics as I said before, you only can use them for your own taste in color of the tank
Within the blue band there is a chlorophyll absorption peak at about 420 nanometers, and the actinic also peaks at this wavelength.  The light is then used by zooxanthellae that live within the tissue of the anemone, in turn they produce fats, sugars, etc as food for the anemone
Well- the actinic light does provide useful light for corals and other photosynthetic inverts. It provides spectral characteristics that correspond with the absorption of chlorophyll, which is the main photosynthetic pigment found in zooxanthellae (the symbiotic algae that live within corals). This, in turn, provides energy for the corals to use in their growth...So- actinic is more than just a pretty light!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/setup/li...actinicfaqs.htm

There're quite a few insightful discussion over at the link provided above. ;)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment