Idea In Getting Fishes To Feed

Kalib

• SRC Member

:idea: Just got this idea.. any comments??

Fishermen use tuna oil together with minced up stuff like fish,prawns etc. to entice fishes into a feeding frenzy/attract them. This is because tuna oil has a very strong fishy smell.

So i was thinking, is it possible to soak fish feed in a little(i really mean very little like just 1,2drop to a few drops depending on how much food is there) tuna oil to make it more enticing so fishes would find it hard to resist?

Thought it might work for fishes which aren't feeding. Or is this a really bad idea?? or you think it won't work?? Just thinking of getting your views on this thats all.

• SRC Member
:idea: Just got this idea.. any comments??

Fishermen use tuna oil together with minced up stuff like fish,prawns etc. to entice fishes into a feeding frenzy/attract them. This is because tuna oil has a very strong fishy smell.

So i was thinking, is it possible to soak fish feed in a little(i really mean very little like just 1,2drop to a few drops depending on how much food is there) tuna oil to make it more enticing so fishes would find it hard to resist?

Thought it might work for fishes which aren't feeding. Or is this a really bad idea?? or you think it won't work?? Just thinking of getting your views on this thats all.

u might wan to try small amts of pure cod-liver oil... ;)

• SRC Member
would the fishes wan to eat em in the first place??? oil would poullate water...

I'm talking about fish oils here not other types of oil like crude oil.

To prevent pollution, thats why i'm putting in only very little depending on amount of food, its just to entice the fishes to eat.

Just thought of it cuz i don't really recall anyone mentioning(Be it in forums or on the internet) that fish oils can be used to make food more interesting for the fishes to eat due to the fishy smell. Besides, i got a bottle of tuna oil at home, just thought of putting it to use rather than let it sit in my house doing nothing.

Fuel, Clownfish: Yeah, sounds like their better alternatives than using tuna oil cuz those u r less likely to overdose since they come in capsules. Maybe next time i'll try and see how my fishes respond to the food.

• SRC Member

Yeah, I am interested to know the outcome too. BTW, garlic xtreme was recommended as an alternative.... if u wanna consider cause it's strong smelling too. Best of all, it prevents ich on fishes...

:off::off::off:

Tuna oil? I use that when I go fishing... makes the effectiveness of chumming even better!

In a huge sea, yeah, tuna oil will attract predators due to its pungent smell. I hate the lingering smell of tuna oil for days when touched.

In an enclosed fish tank, I think it's...er.... ridiculous.

Aquarium fishes can detect food in a fish tank very quickly... no sense using tuna oil to get them all excited. It'll coat the water surface and affect your protein skimming.

In terms of effectiveness, some fishes may not be predatory like tangs which are herbivourous.... maybe vegetable oil may work for them... haha... joking! :)

Maybe it'll work for finicky sharks... :D

I won't try it though...

• SRC Member

Think again err on the side of safety. Any over dosage will turn yr house into a fish mkt.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

Hmm... from the comments.

I think this idea should be used only as a last ditch effort to entice fishes to eat the food(thats assuming u're feeding the right kind of food la) when all other methods fail.

Guess i think i better forget about this idea.