Suffcient Supplentment

Coral_ClamS

• SRC Member

Actinic is Blue. Aquablue is WHITE. Anything Can supplement Anything. What is your AIm. White light? Then no cannot. 800watts of 6500K is going to be ultra yellow and

4x 54watt t5

2x400watt Mh.

U want the sun in your room? for a 4ft tank?? u going to need a 1.25hp chiller at least. that setup will set u back a few k's and from your previous posts are u really ready to take such a big step towards nirvana?

• SRC Member

... i assume since u are using 54 watt t5's your tank is 4ft . dun think any 1 single bulb can cover 4 feet by itself. i personally feel SE bulbs are more convenient. juz to let u know sps tanks should be matured for about 6 months+ with extremely high quality water before you should even think of adding sps. still got long time to go . so dun needa be so kanchiong just yet. :) take it slow.

• SRC Member

BTW i'am planning for a 3fter not a 4fter FYI! have tot of the following combination:

single 400watts 6500k DE + double 39watts actinic 20kkT5

OR

double 250watts 6500k DE + 4 39watts actinic 20kk T5

OR

double 400watt 6500k SE + 4 39watts actinic 20kk T5

OR

single 400watts 6500k DE + single 400watts 20kk DE + double 39watts dimmable 10kk/20kk T5

OR

single 400watts 6500k DE + single 250watts 20kk DE + double 39watts dimmable 20kk T5

OR

single 250 watts 6500k DE + single 250watts 20kk DE (T5 on when MH off)

Planning to use teco RA680/RA240 or reef relief 0.5/1hp to cool my tank!

So which do u think is suitable for good sps growth and colouration?

BTW can u tell me if the market has any hood that can accomodate one of the above combination! :thanks:

Advise are welcome!

OBTW thanks for your info on the 6mths thingie.....will surely take that into consideration ( haha dun worry lah , my setup will only start mid/end of next year)!

anyway thanks in advance!!

Suggest that since you have that much time before you get your SPS tank up, that you load up on all the lighting, water circulation, skimming, calcium reactor/dosing information you can find until nothing is left unknown before you really start just the planning.

Plan it right and... do it right... ONCE.

Also, I strongly suggest that you first ask the experienced SPS keepers in SRC if they are willing to spend some time with you, talking with you and for you to take a look at their systems.... believe me, you may even start thinking not once but 10 times whether you really wish to start keeping SPS or not coz it's a sure way to go broke. :)

SPS on a budget can be done... but the outcome is usually not good, both for your livestock and for your own peace of mind. :D

Coral ClamS

Lots of lighting suggestions but you do not include 10000K, why? think you need to think further.

Does the 3ft tank have a centre brace? if so is it glass or solid plastic? this has an influence on if you can use single or double lamps.

Tank depth will also help determine if you need 250w or 400w

I do not suggest a 6500k and 20000k next to each other since half the tank looks yellow the other blue. If you want to mix 2 such bulbs better results are seen from a single reflector.

Myself, i would not go overboard on lights until i have good quality basics like chiller/ skimmer/ca reactor/wave maker etc.

At the end of the day you also need to look at the cost, the min, i would suggest is a single 250W 10,000 or 14000k with 2 T5 blue or actinic(if no centre brace)

2 x 250W 10000k/14000k + 2T5's would be my choice. I would not use 400W unless the tank was deeper than 24"

• SRC Member

AT, how much $$ do u and the other sps guys spent roughly monthly

to maintain your ank inclusive of power bills..

Ian, i chose 6500k and 20kk cos i saw lotsa books and sites posing this combination and i like the colour damn well... how about double 6500k and supplement with 4 39wats T5 acitinic/ blue plus... or else guess then i 'ld have to put both in a single reflector...! thanks alot BTW

SpiderOne , didn't i mentioned 39wats in the above post or are u fooling ard?

guys if sps is really exp$$ how abt lps would it be so Exp$$... i mean the maintenence! maybe if cheaper can start with lps first and change to sps later on when i start working ...hehe! but planning to use equipment suitable for sps so if upgrade to sps then no need to buy extra equipment rite guys!!?

Prepare to spend about $10,000 minimum on a good enough setup for a fully stocked SPS tank including tank, lights, chiller, water circulation, calcium reactors, addtives etc and about $300 monthly on electricity, supplements/additives, filtration stuff etc, excluding livestock replacement if you have an RTN episodes, heatwave, tank crash, accidents etc.

You will probably spend a lot of money to stock up a tank as well, around $2.5k including LR, sandbed etc. excluding the money and time you will need to spend running all over Singapore hunting for the best looking colonies.

So realistically, $12.5k seems to be just about right? ;)

• SRC Member
So realistically, $12.5k seems to be just about right? ;)

:huh: Gulp!!! :blink:

Wah! So ex man. Dun think can afford 2 apportion that much dough on a hobby, U guys must be loaded lah. Me thinks me will stick 2 simple fish & LR 4 now, unless of course I somehow miraculously win the Jackpot 2morrow ... LOL ;)

• SRC Member
SpiderOne , didn't i mentioned 39wats in the above post or are u fooling ard?

why dont u scroll up and read your first post. u changed it only after i informed u and now u ask me if im fooling around?

Oh man AT why did u have to post that price now if feel all the heartache coming back again :(

• SRC Member

does it really cost that much

i calculated and estimated only about $100+ for power bills!

trace elements tot after weekly/monthly water change then get replenished.....other necessary additives such as strontuim, magnesium,calcium,iodine can be supplied by the CA reactor...not sure cos yazzid told me wan! LR and sand i calculate only about 700-$800 or do i need to get more for a 3fter...

AT :

i tot of asking u to diy the metal rack for me after i get my tank (haha of course will pay u lah) will u help me then maybe can like u no need so much LR liao...

SpiderOne:

sorry for my carelessness and hereby apologise for my mistake and insult!

BTW will be seting up tank step by step .

probably will take a few months to a year and a half cos no large sum at one go ....mus save long time !!!

OBTW AT,

does your bills and setup cost apply to your 5.3ft or my 3ft..wun be surprise if for 3ft though cos expected big money haha!

how much u guys earn /mth to keep up with bills like this ....ah ha does yoour $300 include your norm househld bills also or ... maybe izzit that your MH are 400watts and chiller >600watts?

• SRC Member
so 600+watts of light and probably a 0.5/1.0 hp chiller wun cos that much rite!

It's around there lor. Me also paying around the $250 range per month ... :cry2:

Note: The difference in power consumption between 0.5hp and 1hp chiller is very great hor.