Slug Fest!!!

• SRC Member

Hey Guys!!!

Anything I can do to get rid of pesky slugs that feast on Zoos... They were breeding like mad and I already lost one bunch of nice zoos to a colony of them... Try taking them out one by one but can't seem to get rid of all...

Any other method I can try? They are small with greenish tentacles growing on their back (The tentacles look like zoos and probably is used as a camouflage) Damn hard to see man... took me half an hour to spot three and took them out...

Hey Guys!!!

Anything I can do to get rid of pesky slugs that feast on Zoos... They were breeding like mad and I already lost one bunch of nice zoos to a colony of them... Try taking them out one by one but can't seem to get rid of all...

Any other method I can try? They are small with greenish tentacles growing on their back (The tentacles look like zoos and probably is used as a camouflage) Damn hard to see man... took me half an hour to spot three and took them out...

Why not keep them? Hard to find nudibranchs that can be kept in aquarium... :eyebrow:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

FUel, this is not the first time u advise me to keep these slugs knowing jolly well that they are a pest to zoos...

Please consider your replys before posting them, if there are newbies around, they probably think these slugs are really worth keeping and are harmless.

I would suggest u refer to the thread "Worms That Infest Polyps" ... AT and some other reefers have given some comments...

Hi seamonkee, I don't think you can find a natural predator for these nudibranchs easily in a reef tank.

Manual extraction seems to be the only method. You may have to dedicate time to hunt them down with a big syringe to suck them up or use pincers.

If they are obligate Zooanthids feeders, then you may consider letting the slugs finish your infested zoos. Once they run out of food, they may just die out.

Give it a few more months before you introduce the next colony of zoos, even so, maybe just a few polyphs to ascertain if any slugs survived.

Meanwhile, you should continue your 'seek & destroy' slug missons :)

FUel, this is not the first time u advise me to keep these slugs knowing jolly well that they are a pest to zoos...

Please consider your replys before posting them, if there are newbies around, they probably think these slugs are really worth keeping and are harmless.

I would suggest u refer to the thread "Worms That Infest Polyps" ... AT and some other reefers have given some comments...

Nothing personal...you might not like nudibranchs...but there are other people who like them. What is one man's poison might be another man's food. :blink:

You already mentioned that they feed on zoos...if newbies can't even read then it's not my fault if they go around looking for zooanthid eating nudibranchs right?

I was just mentioning to all nudibranch lovers that you have a species that can be kept in home aquariums..that's all. B)

• SRC Member

Ok lah fuEl, I can't debate with that mouth of yours... :D

No hard feelings.. imagine my mood having spent hours plucking them out one by one with frustration... then u say they very good... wah lao er... :blink:

• SRC Member

I agreed with Rumor, let them feast on the remaining zoos and then die off by starvation...

But then again, besides zoos, do they feed on any other corals or anything else? :o Anyone have this experience to share?

If you want to let them die of starvation, you must also take into consideration whether their "deaths" will pollute the water and in the process caused so much harm to your tank inhabitants.

It is best to play safe now than be sorry later. Me for example, find out that the species that I bought will release toxic muscuous when they are disturbed. The muscuous are harmful to the tank inhabitants (fishes & corals included). I quickly plucked them from my tank (lucky only 2 of them and so need not look high & low) and return them to the LFS the next day. My purchase was impromptu and I had no slightest idea that they are the harmful Nudibranch.

For those hobbyist who had harmless Nudibranch in their tank, please don't be alarmed and continue to keep your highly regarded species. ;)

You may read my contribution to the posting done by Reefdude about Nudibranch.

Put them under swop or free gift....nudibranch lovers might set up a separate tank for them...

I got no space for any more tanks..and my main tank has some very nice zooxanthids...oh well..have to give them a miss...

• SRC Member

Marino, these are not your normal or toxic nudibranch but something parasitic that feeds on your zooxanthids (polyps).... :lol:

Here's the picture of the parasitic nudibranch...

Sori fuEl, I know I am breaking your heart again with such "toxic" words used on nudibranchs.. :D:lol::D

post-21-1064164621.jpg