Low-class Marine

SeaMarine

Seamarine,

I guess you are on a very tight budget as I can see that your marine tank is inadequately setup.

1. Your tank is bigger than your stand. Watch out for instability.

2. Using small white rocks...what is it made of? Marble? Sandstone? White granite? You may want to research a bit more about sandbeds if you want a stable system that can process nitrates. Is it just for decoration then?

3. You have too little liverock or in fact.. not the rock that are used for marine. Yours look like a granite rock. These are very non-porous, dense and heavy and do not serve to be part of your biological filter system.

4. Your lighting is grossly inadequate for keeping hard corals. Please upgrade to a much higher wattage and quantity as soon as possible.

5. You are way overstocked for a tank that size and a filtration system which is grossly inadequate. Do not listen to Giritharan as he is obviously still a beginner like you.

I suggest the following action to be taken or I can guarantee you that your marine livestock will die within a few short weeks.

1. Throw away your white pebbles and use #0 sand to form at least 4 inches of DSB. Recommended 6 inchs deep. You may lose some height but it will aid your system in processing nitrates to harmless nitrogen in the long term.

2. Throw away your rocks and buy at least enough Liverocks (LR) from LFS to fill up 70% of your tank.

3. Do regular water changes to dilute water pollution.

4. Get a sump tank to increase water volume and put in a larger skimmer to maintain your tank. You can use GA carbon to help your system. If you can't get a sump tank due to space... a big canister may be your next best choice but you have to do much more regular maintenance compared to a sump tank method. OHF systems are useless for marine (and there has been many reports of aquariums catching fire due to these pumps recently in the newspapers).

5. Add in more lights or upgrade to pack in as much lights as possible over your tank. What you have now is totally inadequate.

6. Give away 50% of your fishes.

7. Read up more.

8. Throw away that plastic photo background... it makes your tank look crowded but totally unnatural.

This is not to scold you or look down on you, but you really have to stop listening to LFS advice and look at how more experienced hobbyists are doing things and don't experiment at this stage. Many people have walked down the newbie stage and now are passing on their experience to you to help you save time and money and prevent livestock losses.

Learn from us and save yourself a lot of grief.

If you are open to learning... we are more than happy to teach! :)

AT

hi AT,

I am not doubting your experience here...but just need to know if filling up to 70% of the tank with LR will limit the swimming space of the fishes.

How abt 50% of tank wiyth of LR instead ? Cheer !

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

AT, just to correct you..the OVER HANGING FILTERS DID NOT catch fire due to problems...as far as I investigated..How can pumps catch fire..when there is WATER>>

Is cos..LUO HAN pple plug too many applicances into one socket..cost over heating..

version 2...they did not top up water....so pump ran dry and overheat..

My canister inlet came OFF once....and lucky nothing happen just heat up

version 3...The overheating in version 1...caused fire..NOT the devices..but they had to MAKE UP STORY to claim insurance..

WHICH BRINGS me to a CONCERN>...how do you calculate the SAFE NO of devices and WATTAGE/ current etc..to COnnect to one Power Source

• SRC Member

i think when those cheap overhead louhan filter cause fire, its more of those non-submerged pump which are placed beside the filter box. i really can see them catching fire esp, since they actually have no contact with water. and its very possible for electrical appliances(in this case, cheap quality filter powerhead) to malfunction and sometimes cause hazzard due to poor quality. if poor quality equipment does not have the potential to cause fires etc, i really don't see the point of the in charge board issueing safety mark stickers etc.