clown fish goes crazy when i swtich on lights ??

• SRC Member

my nano tank is on my study table and my study table has fluorescent lgiht tubes across... when i switch on the light, the bigger clownfish will go crazy, darting around and hiding at his fav spot. the smaller one looks okay but will occasionally ki siao with the bigger one.

this strange behavior only started yesterday night... i think it might have something to do with the red bamboo algae and mushrooms i added into my sump tank on wed...

it takes awhile for them to calm down after switching off the lights... and they are still feeding well. whats wrong?? help...

• SRC Member

It just that they have a photo shock...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

haha, should be u cosy cosy in dark dark room with another person.....suddenly people on spot light on you.... panic bo?

that one dun any how say.... nowadays Anti Vice very active....

almost kena.... doing bad for my business...

oh.... can look for me tonight at Changi Village... 9pm onwards.... look for Dalla. :kiss:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

okokok...

relax bro.... if they are feeding well.... its normal... maybe some bad habit... fishes are living things as well.... no two fish is the same.....

• SRC Member

Unlike other animals, Fishes do not have eyelids and sleep with their eyes open, therefore after getting very used to the dark, and you suddenly on the light, it will temporary blind them, causing them to go into a panic mode, darting in and out everywhere.. Suggest you stop doing that to reduce the stress of the fish.

Do note that doing this is a good way to catch fish out of tank.. cause they cannot see the net..

• SRC Member
Unlike other animals, Fishes do not have eyelids and sleep with their eyes open, therefore after getting very used to the dark, and you suddenly on the light, it will temporary blind them, causing them to go into a panic mode, darting in and out everywhere.. Suggest you stop doing that to reduce the stress of the fish.

Do note that doing this is a good way to catch fish out of tank.. cause they cannot see the net..

the alternative/solution/way-of-doing-this to this... maybe u can slowly brighten the tank... maybe one tube first... followed by the next tube 5 minutes later....

if only one tube... maybe u open curtains or u on your room light first loh.....

• SRC Member

i see.... they are behaving more normally now... my goby doesn't seem to be affected by it though... oh well. i thought my late studying hours screwed up their body clock or something. coz i need the lights to study...

i see.... they are behaving more normally now... my goby doesn't seem to be affected by it though... oh well. i thought my late studying hours screwed up their body clock or something. coz i need the lights to study...

Wow... sharing the same lights as the fishes.. interesting ...