Project New Reef by Achilles Tang

Achilles Tang

The Starphire glass pane is super clear optically, meaning that there is no greenish tint when you look through it, like ordinary glass would, especially the thicker it gets. It is also distortion free... so when you look at something at an angle... you won't feel dizzy.

I wanted the Starphire because I wanted to appreciate the true colours of the reef

Great looking tank! Very impressed.

Was reading through the thread and the starphire glass is very interesting. From the sound of it, it's not very comon. Have tried to do a search for more information but nothing seems to be available locally. Have tried to ask tank makers too, but to no avail.

Recalled there was a picture of this glass being placed side by side with the normal glas for comparison but can't seem to find it now. Think it was in the other forum before sgreefclub was established. Seems like it's has a light green tint on the side instead of the tradittional dark green tint for large sheets of glass.

Was advised by a tank maker that this is actually a mineral glass and is more scratch resistant than normal glass too. For example, better watches have mineral glass for scratch protection. Wonder if this is true...

Any comments on this glass for aquariums?

Cheers,

Hi Benny,

Yes, that was me! ;)

Starphire glass is not mineral glass or sapphire crystal.... they are not scratch-proof and are just like ordinary glass. They just have a very low iron content so the green tint is no longer present. You need a thicker pane of starphire glass to compensate for slightly weaker structural tolerances.

starphirecomparisonwfloatglass.jpg

The Starphire pane compared to ordinary float glass! Both 12mm thick. Viewed sideways through 2 feet.

Starphire on left, ordinary float glass on right.

starphirecomparisonwfloatglass2.jpgStarphire on right, ordinary float glass panes on left.

You can literally see through clearly to the other side with the starphire glass! Not so with ordinary glass!

Starphire glass is not mineral glass or sapphire crystal.... they are not scratch-proof and are just like ordinary glass. They just have a very low iron content so the green tint is no longer present. You need a thicker pane of starphire glass to compensate for slightly weaker structural tolerances.

You can literally see through clearly to the other side with the starphire glass! Not so with ordinary glass!

Hi Achilles Tang,

This is one gem of a picture for comparison. I can see through 2 ft of starphire glass and see the flower pot on the other side! The normal float glass only shows your reflection. You should consider doing a small article on different types of glass for the DIY forum. Many would certainly appreciate these information when doing up their own tanks.

From the look of the picture, it seems that there is still a light green tint on the edge of the starphire glass (compared to the dark green tint on standard float glass). I suppose this should be due to the fact that it's a large sheet of glass. In cases of a 100 mm X 100 mm X 12mm sheet, it would appear to be totally transparent. Am I correct?

Seem like the clarity is at the expense of safety since the low iron content compromise the structural integrity. Thicker glass will also contribute to distortion when viewed from the side. Any comments on this point?

Cheers,

Starphire glass is extremely clear and has less distortion when viewed at an angle. I used to get headaches from looking thru the glass of my old tank. I don't get it with my starphire.

I don't think there is major structural problems compared to ordinary float glass... better to go thicker just in case.

The edge of my glass panes are all bevelled.. are you referring to it?

Starphire glass is controversial... most of the reefers who been to my house say that the glass is extremely clear... some can't tell any difference.. to me, I want to view my corals and especially my clams close to their true colours and not with an added green tint of ordinary glass.

My logic is... if this is gonna be my show tank.... it's gonna be extremely important to get clear glass... just invest the money and have no regrets... esp since my tank is to view from the front only and it's a wall concept. ;)

AT

• 2 months later...

Wow.... it's been more than a year since this post... brings back lots of memories for me. :)

I have also seen how much progress was made and how things have changed since then. ;)

It's a humbling experience trying to match reality with expectations. Lots of $$$ too! LOL!

For those who want to see the outcome of Project New Reef....

My latest threads on my tank here! and here

I need to find back my old photos to show you... but my reef rack is two pieces of pvc sheets welded together by four PVC pipes at each corner.

So it looks like a trophy without the crown!

So the flat bottom of one end is weighed down by sand and the other flat bottom is where my LR sits on. :)

Very strong and maximum water flow thru compared to using flimsy eggcrates. Best part is that its grey and easy to hide compared against white eggcrates.

• SRC Member
I need to find back my old photos to show you... but my reef rack is two pieces of pvc sheets welded together by four PVC pipes at each corner.

So the flat bottom of one end is weighed down by sand and the other flat bottom is where my LR sits on. :)

Very strong and maximum water flow thru compared to using flimsy eggcrates. Best part is that its grey and easy to hide compared against white eggcrates.

AT, u r my savior ... tat's what i am searchin for the whole day ... lookin forward to see it.

mydog.gif

please oh please oh please let me see what you are talking about. (=

Well guys, I searched my harddisk and I am afraid that's it. What you see here is all the photos I have left. I lost a partition and perhaps the old photos were in there. :(

Errhmmm.... my friend... look at the date.. this thread is very old. Started in year September 2002! LOL!!!

:lol:

My current tank is as seen in my signature link.