Project New Reef by Achilles Tang

Achilles Tang

But before I do that...

It's time to show my liverock arrangements first!

liverockb4assembly.jpg

Arranging my liverocks took 2 days... this is the start where I put it all on the sandbed first.

liverockb4assembly2.jpg

Nearly completed... nah... it's gonna be a work in progress for some time!

nearlycompletedrocks.jpg

overflowwfilterwoolholder.jpg

A view of my overflow box with my DIY filter tray to place filter wool for mechanical filtration. Here's when I will have to remove the standpipes for maximum mechanical trappig with filter wool.

The overflow box has two Durso standpipes leading to the sump.

overflowboxwithstandpipes2.jpg

Here's the way the standpipes lead out to... to a true union ball valve for easy removal and flow control.... and into the sump tank.

standpipesballvalves.jpg

Here's the sump tank where my Aqua Medic Oceanrunner 6000 runs 6500 litres per hour through to my main tank via two pvc pipes with check valves to prevent backflow.

sumpandpumps.jpg

My H&S Euroreef sits in the sump.

Those black suckers are holding airline tubes actually dripping the effluent from my Calcium reactor.

overflowfromrefugiumtosump.jpg

Here's where the water overflows from my refugium back into my sump before the main pump sends it back to the main tank.

• SRC Member

Nice!

What are the anthias doing in a new tank? :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I think I should get a dog too. Seem like dog make cycling tank faster.

But then, those hairless dog only got 4 in Spore. Can burrow me for 1 week to cycle my tank AT? :lol:

Hah Tanzy.... knew that was coming from you! :P

My cycle was very very short. One week after the liverock went in.... I tried my best to induce ammonia levels... used a dead stinky sotong (whew!), threw in my hermits, put in natural ammonia (go figure).... had a small spike, followed by no2, no3.... and then nothing... all in a week!

Must be the fact that I used almost all my old tank water, plus NSW almost 300G worth..... and all my existing LR and some livesand.

The sandbed won't be mature yet in the short term... so my filtration is dependent on my LR and skimmer/ozonizer combi. Oh... and my half-done refugium too.... still needs lots of macroalgae.

The first livestock in was my shrimps.... canary in the mines so to speak.... once they survived and even spawned fry (last weekend!!!!).... its all clear!!!!

Like my anthias? They are feeding well on mysis and live BS.

Hon,

My Patented Miracle Hairless Dog Cycling Startup Kit © will cost you $3888 per week for rental use only.

If you take the startup kit without food provided, it will cost only $3000 per week.

Let me know when you want to borrow the PMHDCS kit because I am having a backlog of orders and as you know, I only have one of these!

;)

• SRC Member

natural ammonia?? u dun mean urine??? :o .. if so, the next time we visit your place.. we must be careful where we step.. hahaha.. :D actually not bad.. to have a toilet with living organisms in them.. hahaha :D:lol:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

HON, u want a hairless dog, just get a poodle, shave off all the hair.. u get it already.. just leave a puff at the end of its tail and legs.. :D

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

The OINK method wouldn't work as well as mine... trust me!

:lol::D:lol::D

Ok... ok... this is getting stale fast!

Thanks Cedric!

I am not showing pix of my main tank yet... still quite a lot of space for corals... need to do a bit of shopping!

• SRC Member

Hi AT,

Would you like to share with us what kind of fishes you are planning on putting into your new tank? Any dream fish that you are aiming for?

Have your Purple tangs found new owner? Why let them go? They were so healthy and beautiful. Furthermore, its not easy to have them get along like that. You may not be so lucky next time.

I am thinking of keeping 5 anthias in my tank but only right after I remove my 2 angels. Yours seem to shoal very peacefully in your tank and its quite an inspiration I must say. :)

Hi Steno,

I am aiming for about 4 to 5 big fishes (4 inch max) and the rest will be small/tiny fishes.... I love the shoaling effect of anthias... and they really add a lot of colour to the tank.

Currently I have:

1 yellow tang

1 purple tang

1 Powder blue tang

1 school of anthias - mixed:

3 dispar, 5 lyretail, 3 squarespot.

3 red firefish

2 purple firefish

1 pink skunk clown

1 golden-striped maroon clown

1 fairy wrasse

1 fairy wrasse

A pity I had to let go of my other 2 PTs... but I think its time for some more variety of tangs... and I do have a dream fish.. an Achilles Tang (but of course!)

My anthias shoal together a lot even though they are mixed. There is a male lyretail in there. They started eating mysis right away... lucky me!

• SRC Member

Lotsa fish! But remind me not to touch the water! Urine is very unorthodox but semen for making rocks is top of the list!

For $3888 I'll use Luohan to cycle the tank. No thank you!

Message of the day:

Dogs are not reefsafe!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Guess what I saw today in my refugium... a nudibranch!

It's almost the same colour as the red algae is was in... so it's well-camouflaged!

I hope it's herbivourous only.

post-7-1036077384.jpg

• SRC Member

Nudis are pretty cute. Maybe it's just eating the algae. I found nudis with my coral before and that can't be good news. I plucked all of them out and dropped them into freshwater! B)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
Nudis are pretty cute. Maybe it's just eating the algae. I found nudis with my coral before and that can't be good news. I plucked all of them out and dropped them into freshwater! B)

That's what I did... take out my nudibranch only too discover that it is a Lettuce Nudi that assist in consumption of Algae.... How stupid of me.....

:(

And btw guys,

AT's tank looks much better "LIVE".......heeheehee....

A MUST SEE.....

like his fairy wrasse... chioh man....

Also his assortment of clams...Six altogether

2 Acros and 1 Poci...

Esp like his LR racks....

And his fish room......Whew....Awesome.....

and of course ... his anthias...:lol:

AT, You said it ...... Can make all the forumers drool ..........

AT, where do you get those nori? I heard you could get it from supermarket and what does the packaging look like from the outside? They say this is being used in Sushi, is that true?

Not really...

Look out for my Nori review in the Product Review section.