Upgrading From 2ft To 3ft

acce

Hi,

Was wondering if I would like to upgrade my tank from 2ft to a 3ft how should i go about it?

Should I - cycle the 3ft tank using new sand etc... or transfer the existing 2ft sand + rocks + water & all into the 3ft??

Could anybody share their experience or any advice???

:thanks::)

hi, I also upgraded from 2 feet to my present 3 feet. it'll be good to reuse your sand and LR....even the water from your old tank.... Let it cycle first before adding in your sand as u do not want the organisms to die if u put the live sand in while cycling...use water from your old tank also..all these will help your tank mature faster..u can cycle with some new sand coz i doubt the old sand will be enuff for 3 feet...after cylcing then add the old sand

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Member
hi, I also upgraded from 2 feet to my present 3 feet. it'll be good to reuse your sand and LR....even the water from your old tank.... Let it cycle first before adding in your sand as u do not want the organisms to die if u put the live sand in while cycling...use water from your old tank also..all these will help your tank mature faster..u can cycle with some new sand coz i doubt the old sand will be enuff for 3 feet...after cylcing then add the old sand

I thought the function of livesand is the same as liverock and should be added during the cycling period?Moving the sand from the old tank to the new will cause some dieoff, this can be use in addition to LR to kickstart the cycle.If you add the sand after you finish cycling,wouldnt that start another cycle?

even if it start another cycle it would be better then letting the life on the LR dies. i dont think it will take too long for the cycle cos there are already much beneficial bateria on the 2 ft sand n rock. since cycling is abt getting all this bateria.

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

• SRC Member

Acce,

If you are to transfer your existing water, sand etc. What's going to happen to your livestock? Unless, there's no livestock then it would be good.

Also, the water volume in your tank is not enuf to cover your 3ft. so you will have to top up and a cycle period is inevitable. Then a stabilising period etc.

yup,

i wouldn't want the worms and critters to die when i introduce the live sand into the new tank while cycling...kindda defeats the purpose of adding live sand.. i'll cycle with new sand, then after cycling then add the old sand and LR...just my 2 cents worth

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Member

Hows abt this schedule?

Since the cycling for yr new 3 ft will take abt 3 weeks to a mth, u can:

1) Do a 20% to 50% water change for yr 2ft (if its a 50% change, do it gradually, dont stress yr critters)

2) Transfer the water siphoned out from the 2ft during the water change into the 3ft, to aid the cycling in the new tank

3) Scoop some of the sand in the 2ft (the top layer) and use it in the 3ft, to let the bacteria living in the sand populate yr new 3ft. Some of the critters living inside will get transferred too.

4) Leave the 3ft about 1/4 empty, so dat when the water inside matures, u can transfer more of the 2ft water into this 3ft tank, and thus let the 2 tank waters become more similar and reduce the stress to yr animals/corals when u finally transfer them over...

Just my opinion, hope it helps... ;)

Hi all,

Thanks for all your advise...actually i've got 3 marine tanks..

2ft - 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 - with lr + tonga sticks + 2" dsb + 8 damsels + corals

3ft - 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 - with lr + 3" dsb + corals + 7 fishes

3 ft - 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 - with FOWLR

so ... was deciding to upgrade a new 3ft - 3 X 2 X 2.5 :rolleyes:

was thinking of transfering everything inside my new tank (a bit ambitious) :P

Could i do that or any better ways????

Would really like to hear from you guys.

Thanks a zillion. :thanks: