Which Skimmer?

May&Bruce

• SRC Member

Which are the best brand skimmers on the market in Singapore? Berlin or others? And, where can I buy them?

I have a 150 gal reef tank, and am using a cheapo Weipro 2015 skimmer, but it seems not so good.

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

4 digit, smallest unit starting with 2 I think :P

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
4 digit, smallest unit starting with 2 I think :P

Really BK is that good? for that price, you can have many other equipment to balance your tank right instead of just pure skimming.

Does it make sense?

May be the question is what is the better balance (i dun ask best as i know no such things as BEST)? :yeah:

:D

choose your skimmer properly.

Best way is to ask those ex-users because sometimes current users still not yet found the problem with their existing skimmers.

The other way is to see which type of skimmer pple always selling.

Oh how often you see a deltec skimmer for sales?

• SRC Member

I do agree with Weileong on seeing the sales rate is one of the indicator. Having said that, do note on the brand like Deltec/H&S/AquaMedic/etc only own by minority by comparison.

however, you can see that Needle Wheel seems to be the way to go for majority (I dun mean Beckett is not good please).

Ask, see, research and judge. You can get the answer there.

Like I did said before, NO one single Skimmer is the BEST even I know many try to claim that. Oops!

Just some opnions of my own.

Many reefers claim different brands of skimmers to be the best and swore by it.

Reefers with deep pockets can spend $2000-$3000 on skimmers alone.

To me, rather than to pay $2000-$3000 for a skimmer or use a 4 footer beckett, i rather do the following:

IF i ever get a new set up: i will put a 6 inch by 24 inch beckett skimmer, along with a deltec needlewheel and a schuran jetskim 120 skimmer.

Best of both worlds, beckett combine with needlewheel. No more complains.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

well it depend on your objective...

for me I rather spend thousand to get a good skimmer that is so power that not only will it control your n03 and p04 but also able to bring it down even with high low of fish and corals.

Well sometime ppls dont seem to get it or look at the picture is they rather not spend thousand of dollars to get a good equipments but end up spending thousand or more to keep changing dieing or brown out sps/coral/fish. And in the end, they think it's spend too much time and money and yet dont see success so it lead them to give up.

• SRC Member
Just some opnions of my own.

Many reefers claim different brands of skimmers to be the best and swore by it.

Reefers with deep pockets can spend $2000-$3000 on skimmers alone.

To me, rather than to pay $2000-$3000 for a skimmer or use a 4 footer beckett, i rather do the following:

IF i ever get a new set up: i will put a 6 inch by 24 inch beckett skimmer, along with a deltec needlewheel and a schuran jetskim 120 skimmer.

Best of both worlds, beckett combine with needlewheel. No more complains.

If I have 2 - 3K , i wont spend all the money on 3 different skimmer, I would rather spend 20 bucks on air driven skimmer... the rest of the 1980 bucks buy fishes n corals.........lols

That's a good idea isn't it?

But depends on different person. Some will spend more on equipment and then make sure their LS are well taken care off. Some will save on equipments but keep buying LS. Do you see a lot of reefers complaining about problems which are all cause by poor nutrients managment?

• SRC Member

If I have 2 - 3K , i wont spend all the money on 3 different skimmer, I would rather spend 20 bucks on air driven skimmer... the rest of the 1980 bucks buy fishes n corals.........lols

lolz...

ya and I rather buy plastic conditor as fish tank and no worry about leak etcs...

and an air skimmer and also those air pump will do.. save the $$ buying those ex powerhead...

or maybe this skimmer talk is the same as why buy tunze instead of those normal powerhead.

or why buy chiller when a fan will do.. lolz...

• SRC Member

I'm serious and I mean it... Do I look serious enough :P oops cannot laugh......... serious now :)

I kept my N1wan Red aro at my bros place without skimmer at all... still looking good... :whistle sometimes I wonder if a air driven skimmer is necessary :whistle or rather 3 skimmer in a tank :shock:

• SRC Member
I'm serious and I mean it... Do I look serious enough :P oops cannot laugh......... serious now :)

I kept my N1wan Red aro at my bros place without skimmer at all... still looking good... :whistle sometimes I wonder if a air driven skimmer is necessary :whistle or rather 3 skimmer in a tank :shock:

o ya dont get the impt point...

must play with the dwell time... that is impt u know.. cause the vol of water in the skimmer must stay in contact long long then maybe can skim till become fresh water and then forget about the rest of the water in the tank... lolz.

or got time just play with your computer and photo la... also can show better result one.

The reason for using a 6 inch by 24 inch beckett, deltec needlewheel and schuran jetskim is that all the wattage. . .

Md40 : 80 watt

aquabee2000i model : 35 watt

Total add up only 150 watt.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member
The reason for using a 6 inch by 24 inch beckett, deltec needlewheel and schuran jetskim is that all the wattage. . .

that is also one reason why... i go for my skimmer which only need 65watt only...

• SRC Member

2 feet reef tank with 5 feet sump ? tats a good combination...But I'm having a 4ft tank, and do not have a space for a 8 feet sump......... :lol:

• SRC Member

lol... mai suan mai suan.....

But seriously, I might be wrong... from the past I have been changing quite a no. of equipments .. keep changing n changing equipments (changing means - $ minus 50%).

If u r seriously into this hobby... try to get something which is better and can last u some time. If not..... $ is like throwing into the drain (together with the $20 skimmer)

;)

• SRC Member

i agree. if youre into this hobby for real, investing in good equipment will not only save you costs in the long run, but also spare you the headaches, and time wasted in the meantime, and with having to make upgrades and changes.

but then again, in the end, we reefers are money limited, and not phosphate limited, so must make do with what we have.

i doubt i will be able to afford a BK anytime soon, so shall be happy with my new beckett. its a bullet, and though its not so widespread in use yet, i hope it'll serve me well. in any case, the BK is probably only viable for large tanks. its humongous! i saw reefaholic's BK the other day, and its taller than my new tank's length!