Glass Polisher

weisoon

• SRC Member

Weisoon,

Apparently there are glass polishing kits available - just read about this browsing TFH at MPH this afternoon...but no mention of brand or where to get! Most likely it will be quite hard to find in S'pore (as a lot of DIY things are) so best to search overseas. If you find, get me one OK? want to try it on some rather irritating scratches on the front glass of a small tank I just bought!! :P

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

think someone asked this before...

it depends how bad is the scratch.. but small scratches can be polished off using some toothpaste, moderate ones can try autosol, heavy ones have to import some kinda special stuff from overseas.

reason why toothpaste and autosol might work is that they are slightly abrasive, so it actually "grinds" down the area around the scratch thereby smoothing it out... which actually at the same time will weaken your glass ever so slightly.. so don't over do it (hm.. is it possible to overdo it??)

Anyway really no harm trying lah.. how much damage can toothpaste do.. haha..

• SRC Member

ervine

No problem in trying them out. But my main worry is that with the polishing disc, instead of removing the single scratch line, end up with a patch of multiple very fine scratch lines. Hope you know what I am trying to describe. Maybe will try it out when I have the time on a piece of unwanted glass. I actually bought some stuff from Germany for polishing acrylic. Should be able to apply to glass as well. Just that need to find time to try it out.

• SRC Member
ervine

No problem in trying them out. But my main worry is that with the polishing disc, instead of removing the single scratch line, end up with a patch of multiple very fine scratch lines. Hope you know what I am trying to describe. Maybe will try it out when I have the time on a piece of unwanted glass. I actually bought some stuff from Germany for polishing acrylic. Should be able to apply to glass as well. Just that need to find time to try it out.

Oh u thinking of using a power tool polisher ah? Hmmm... maybe can try with a lower power one first?

• SRC Member
Oh u thinking of using a power tool polisher ah? Hmmm... maybe can try with a lower power one first?

The tool I bought is a small power tool with speed adjustment and universal adapter for fitting bits. The range by this German brand : Pro***n is much more than a particular USA brand Dr***l. Just have to try it out.