ich outbreak- help

hwcheong

I have 2 baby blue tang 3 month ago.. recently infected by ick.. one gone and another still infected.. I try the hypo method but still cannot help.. today I see my brown tang also infected..but is something like sponge on the surface of it's skin.. is tat ick.. anyone can give me suggestion as I am helpless now..

\

when fishes are infected with parasite like ich , they will secrete some film of layer of coating ...

hypo is one of the most effective way in curing ich , though tedious .

when administer properly , apparent white spot will be gone in at most 5 days , according to my own experience. but full treatment might last for 6-8 weeks

maybe u can tell us your procedure in introducing hypo treatment and some parameter like pH ,KH, and by the way are u using a refractometer or swing arm hydrometer?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

hypo treatment

included weileong's thread for reference.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

if you are able to maintain the salinity accurately at 16ppt with a refractometer then 16ppt is not too low and will be safe for your fishes for the duration of the treatment.

If your main tank has no inverts or corals then you may apply the hypo safely w/o harm to other LS (fish only) in the tank.

Hi bros after reading bro weilong's write up is it correct that if there's no fish in the main tank it wil be ICH free because no host for the parasite to live

Sorry to hijack your thead bro hwcheong :thanks:

if ur tank has ich previously , it is advisable to leave the tank fishless for at least 30 days to totally eradicate the parasite totally. u can be sure that there are at least 99% no ich in ur tank.

1% murphy's law.... :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Hi bros after reading bro weilong's write up is it correct that if there's no fish in the main tank it wil be ICH free because no host for the parasite to live

Sorry to hijack your thead bro hwcheong :thanks:

if ur tank has ich previously , it is advisable to leave the tank fishless for at least 30 days to totally eradicate the parasite totally. u can be sure that there are at least 99% no ich in ur tank.

1% murphy's law.... :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

If your tank is fowlr just add copper remedy can already if not prepare for backache. :peace:

just to add on :

a reliable cu test kit is required for accurate dosage . cupraramine ( seachem) is a great medication if u are considering then.

too high a dosage more do more harm to ur fishes in the end .

calcium based rock may absorb Cu , so might to difficult to remove Cu next time if u want to keep coral.

:peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

oops sorry.

cu is the symbol for copper in the periodic table for chemistry.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

Well, if you're fish is an old timer in your tank (which means it's stable and healthy)

Can try freshwater dip.. I've tried it.. saved a few fish already.. but you must make sure you don't over stress them.. (Note - DO NOT put your fish in the freshwater for more than 5mins..)

You sure those are ich?

It has been proven that freshwater dip do not have any effects on ich. Test was conducted by freshwater dripping some fishes for 8hrs but the trophont on the fish body are not affected.

Even what you said is true, there will still be tomites which will hatch from tomont which will attack the fishes. Unless you are performing freshwater dip on a daily basis else I don't see how it'll work.

• SRC Member

If you do hypo in the main tank, monitor the water parameters. It will kill more than ich, inverts like worms, nudi etc will parish causes the N03 & NO4 to increase...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

My Powder Blue tang suffered from Ich during its first few days in my tank. I actually took garlic and pounded them, to get the garlic juice.

I took frozen mysis shrimp and washed them under freshwater in a small sieve. I soaked the defrosted mysis shrimp into the garlic juice for about 10-15minutes.

I've been feeding my fishes for a few days on the garlic-soaked mysis shrimps. They are all fine now, esp my PBT. ;)