Uv Steriliser=ozoniser???

flubberina13

• SRC Member

hey...got an electric shock and a total blackout in my house just now when I meddle with a new ph and my ozoniser... now the latter is spoilt...sob..sob... :cry2:

Wondering if can replace the ozoniser with the UV steriliser as I gonna go and make a new purchase soon...sigh...

Any advice???

• SRC Member

Still in a daze and having a headache and some muscle aches now...Is it normal??

Anyway on medicatin for flu and sore throat...does it aggravate anything?

Medical leave till tomolo...Guess God knows that I need a rest...so many things revolving at the same time...

How? Should I buy an ozoniser or UV steriliser aka Eco-aqualizer?

Anybody?

So your FOWLR tank's ozoniser's busted? Gee... well... IMO, an ozoniser is far more effective than a UV sterilizer. I hear that for your water to be thoroughly UV sterilized, you would actually need to run your water as a film thru not one but many many UV tubes to be effective. What is sold in the Aquarium trade is actually inadequate.

An eco-aqualizer is not a UV sterilizer. I will not comment on this product but you have to make your own conclusions from reading other people's comments on the web. ;)

Now how did you get the electrical shock again?

• SRC Member

Dun like the bubbles coming out from the tubing in my tank as it spurted everywhere so connect it to a small tube i see on the ph that is serving my skimmer.

Later water flowed from the tube to the ozoniser, immediately shut down the ozoniser, removed the plug and dismantle the unit. Dried the water inside the unit and plugged it in again and the ....ZOOPP!!! Whole house became so silent!!!

Then went to switch on something in the circuit breaker and but still no electricity. Went to remove the plug from the switch, that's when I got the shock...Where did I go wrong?

Is my house really overloaded?

No, its obvious that there is a short circuit somewhere in the unit due to water still inside.

You are not supposed to allow water into the ozoniser!

Funny, if your house circuit breaker tripped, you shouldn't be getting a electrical shock at all.

• SRC Member
I uses a check valve for my ozoniser. Don't buy those plastic $1-$2 type. It will not "checked" after 1 day. I'm using a stainless steel type, > 1 month already still ok.

Still asking...what's a check valve and where can I find it? Care to explain? And where did you get your ozoniser?

Thanks...

• SRC Member

Still asking...what's a check valve and where can I find it? Care to explain? And where did you get your ozoniser?

Thanks...

Hi Fluberrina,

I do not understand why you want to use a ioniser. Yes it does improve the skimming efficiency alot but its really too much trouble. And the cost of even a cheap ioniser is around $200. I feel this should be invested in a better skimmer instead.

Using an ioniser has alot of problems which I assume you are aware? Such as corrosion of silicon in the tank, plastic parts eroding especially tubes and too much ozone in the water will kill your fishes, corals in fact everything in the tank.

And cheap ionisers (also known as ozonisers) are the taiwan brands which don't work well and spoil very very easily.

Anyhow, if you still want to look for a new ozoniser and check valve, I recommend petmart in serangoon north. Its beside rainbow.

By the way, a check valve is used to only allow water to flow in one direction. It has an arrow on it indicating the direction of flow. If water backflows, the check valve will block it and prevent it. However as mentioned, the plastic ones are not as good. And sometimes, it may be safer to use even two check valves in line.

Cheers

A check valve (aka one-way valve) allows air/water to flow only in one direction. It will restrict water from flowing backward to the ozoniser for our case. I bought mine at clementi, its last piece (the stainless steel one) when I bought it. I think most planted tank lfs should carry good quality type.

Mine was given from friend. I saw one taiwan brand at Reborn, only $50+. Read from EmpererAngel it wasn't reliable.

• SRC Member

I tot those check valves are only for air flow to prevent water from back flowing?? hhhmm oh ok I think I understand, there are 2 types of check valves, one is based on small rubber orifice at a tip of a cone, where it is easy for air to enter thru the tiny orifice and difficult for water to enter. the other type is based on spring valve where air go thru will depress spring to open orifice, but backflow cannot happen cuz orifice in naturally closed position, so I presume the 2nd type can be used for water check valve? Or am i wrong on the valves?

flub: when in doubt, never never never dry the electrical appliance then immediately plug back in!!! after you dry (use hair dryer) thoroughly, air it for a few days before plugging in again. but then salt water I also donno, maybe the salt left on it while still eventually cause short circuit when moistened? anyhow I suggest you buy a testpen or screwdriver, which is a screwdriver with the red top and a bulb inside. you hold the screwdriver, touch the top of it with a finger (got metal piece there) which ground the screwdriver to the earth through you. (DON'T touch the metal part of the screwdriver itself!! ie the front metal rod with the screwdriver head) when you touch the screwdriver to any appliance which is live and has current in it, the screw driver will light up and you will not get any electric shock but you know the appliance is spoilt. when the circuit breaker trips and refuses to stay on, you know one appliance is leaking current, must be careful!! Do take care dear!!!

• SRC Member

Hi Fluberrina,

I do not understand why you want to use a ioniser. Yes it does improve the skimming efficiency alot but its really too much trouble. And the cost of even a cheap ioniser is around $200. I feel this should be invested in a better skimmer instead.

Using an ioniser has alot of problems which I assume you are aware? Such as corrosion of silicon in the tank, plastic parts eroding especially tubes and too much ozone in the water will kill your fishes, corals in fact everything in the tank.

And cheap ionisers (also known as ozonisers) are the taiwan brands which don't work well and spoil very very easily.

Anyhow, if you still want to look for a new ozoniser and check valve, I recommend petmart in serangoon north. Its beside rainbow.

By the way, a check valve is used to only allow water to flow in one direction. It has an arrow on it indicating the direction of flow. If water backflows, the check valve will block it and prevent it. However as mentioned, the plastic ones are not as good. And sometimes, it may be safer to use even two check valves in line.

Cheers

Ozonizers are a great relief either on a reef or a fish only tank. :D So investing in one is definitely worth the while. ;) Please don't go for those cheap taiwan brand as it's not worth the trouble and not to mention money wasted! I took advice from Emperor Angel and I bought the Aquazone Deluxe which is hassel free and no electrical shocks. :D No need for check valves and you can simply droop your air tubing preventing any water from flowing into the ozonizer but if it makes you feel safer then by all means do so. No stainless steel ones please as a precautionery measure. :D Happy reefing! By the way , the aquazone deluxe has dropped it's price a bit so it's a good buy. ;) It comes with an ORP probe , ORP reading monitor with adjustment control and Ozone output control all in one. Remember that our air is high in humidity and you would want your ozonizer to last a long , long time to come so you need to dry your air input before going through your ozonizer. ;) And one more thing , ozonizers don't really fry your fish as most of us are concerned about. Know the right milli volts needed and you're on your way to a healthy and safe tank.

• SRC Member
a testpen or screwdriver, which is a screwdriver with the red top and a bulb inside. you hold the screwdriver, touch the top of it with a finger (got metal piece there) which ground the screwdriver to the earth through you. (DON'T touch the metal part of the screwdriver itself!! ie the front metal rod with the screwdriver head) when you touch the screwdriver to any appliance which is live and has current in it, the screw driver will light up and you will not get any electric shock but you know the appliance is spoilt. when the circuit breaker trips and refuses to stay on, you know one appliance is leaking current, must be careful!! Do take care dear!!!

Hey...hoppinghippos...I'm not ###### neither am I dumb...so I do know the usage of the testpen... :P

Just the lingo of marine gadgets baffled me at times lah...Anyway, thanks for your concern... :D

My ozoniser has definitely seen better days and now I'm testing water to see if can survive without one. Otherwise...sanders...here I come... :P