Nitrate off the roof!

cci[RR]us

Strangely, my gorniopora and BTA remained "closed" for the past few days. Just now I tested the salinity, it's ok. Then I test the nitrate level, wtf... :cry:

It was at the red level, 80 ppm! :shock:

Is this bad?

What is the best way to reduce the nitrate asap? How about the sugar treatment?

My tank is a 2" x 1" x 1" anemone tank, with 2 maroons and 2 firefish. I have a Dymax air skimmer and a 1000L/hr Rainbow hanging filter. :pinch:

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

Best way is to perform water changes.

25% each time.

after 10 times you should get around 6ppm. This is assuming no more NO3 produced and your new seawater has 0ppm nitrates.

1 80

2 60

3 45

4 33.75

5 25.3125

6 18.984375

7 14.23828125

8 10.67871094

9 8.009033203

10 6.006774902

You should look into the root cause of your high NO3 after you lower your NO3. If not they will came back to haunt you soon.

Thanks for your advice, but I don't have so much water to do the 10 water changes. Do you think I could pour 1 teaspoon of sugar in and let the bacteria remove the nitrate?

I can only get more water this weekend, and today is only Tuesday. :(

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

Sigh, ok. I hope my anemone and gornio can "tong" until Saturday. :(

Thanks. ;)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

Water changes cannot be your only way to tackle nitrates as it can only dilute them but there would still be traces of nitrate prevalent.

How about considering other methods in addition to water changes that can remove or control nitrates.

Some examples are Zeovit, DSB, Macroalgae, etc.

Each has its own pros and cons so do read up about them and make a wise decision ;)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

I'm a little color blind, so I've provided my Nitrate reading here just to double-confirm :P

nitratetest5vd.jpg

(Left image taken with flash, right image taken without flash. Seems to be 80 ppm)

I think I know why there's nitrate bloom.

I stopped using my skimmer for many days even though I continue to feed my fish and anemone. Ooops. :(

I have algae in my tank, purplish coraline algae to furry green algae. Would carbon do the trick, for the time being?

I think I'll get a proper skimmer this weekend. I guess a good skimmer will solve my nitrate woes?

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

You still need to lower your NO3 first. skimmer don't remove NO3.

Agree on this.

Get a better skimmer to make sure that no more DOC decomposes into nutrients and do water changes.

And why are you using a freshwater test kit? :huh:

weileong,

So getting a better skimmer will not solve my nitrate problem in the long run? I'm not refering to the current nitrate bloom, but rather, to keep my nitrate as low as possible.

FuEl,

I just bought the cheapest one around. Damn... I didn't even know it was for freshwater until now! :(

Argh...

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

Get a better skimmer to make sure that no more DOC decomposes into nutrients and do water changes.

Ok, I got it. Thanks, I'll get a better skimmer this weekend.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member

Maybe when you get the correct test kit for salt water, there may not be this problem? Get a good skimmer.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

us,Sep 20 2005, 09:04 PM] weileong,

So getting a better skimmer will not solve my nitrate problem in the long run? I'm not refering to the current nitrate bloom, but rather, to keep my nitrate as low as possible.

FuEl,

I just bought the cheapest one around. Damn... I didn't even know it was for freshwater until now! :(

Argh...

the AP test kit can be used for SW. it has a separate chart for SW.

i suggest you get salifert kits.

test your NSW before adding to the tank.

Sigh, I never test my NSW. Ok I'll test them from this day onwards!

My anemone looks bad, really bad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :(

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

us,Sep 20 2005, 08:54 PM] I'm a little color blind, so I've provided my Nitrate reading here just to double-confirm :P

nitratetest5vd.jpg

(Left image taken with flash, right image taken without flash. Seems to be 80 ppm)

I think I know why there's nitrate bloom.

I stopped using my skimmer for many days even though I continue to feed my fish and anemone. Ooops. :(

I have algae in my tank, purplish coraline algae to furry green algae. Would carbon do the trick, for the time being?

I think I'll get a proper skimmer this weekend. I guess a good skimmer will solve my nitrate woes?

Looks more like 40 to me.... but still too high. Perform water change is the quickest method.

• SRC Member

Moderate your feeding, may be overfeeding.

If fishes are not as agile when you have overfed. They are not as reponsive to food during feeding. The remains of food increase your nitrate.

After that slowly your filters will do its work of bring down the nitrate. But looking at the hanging filter, it will be a bit slow. Also look at the media of the filter. Carbon helps a little faster now if you add it in.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Also, if anemone is looking bad, chances is that it is decomposing. Take out and see if it smells really bad. A dying anemone will literally kill the whole tank.

Start preparing NSW, I think you will need it soon. Waste the anemone early (Or get fellow reefer to help look at it) and dun bet on keeping your finger cross.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

my nitrate level is always hitting ard 40-50ppm (dark orange using tetra test kit)

but after i washed e sump and took out ALL the bioballs today...

and oso did a 20% water change....

miracles happen..... :P

my nitrate level drop below 10ppm (first time see yellow using tetra test kit :D )

so i guess it must be e bio-balls trapping all e dirt n becoming a nitrate factory!!!

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

my nitrate level is always hitting ard 40-50ppm (dark orange using tetra test kit)

my nitrate level drop below 10ppm (first time see yellow using tetra test kit :D )

so i guess it must be e bio-balls trapping all e dirt n becoming a nitrate factory!!!

miracles indeed.....a 20% change means likely a 80% left nitrate......a ppm or 40-50 means that after that 20% change your should be left with about 32 ppm and above.....

2 explaination that i can think of:

- your system is slowly maturing and you have not tested for quite a while

- your test kit spolit (heard stories about this particular brand....)

oh yeah....removing bioballs does not remove nitrate.....but it does help as it can become nitrate factory.... ;)

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

Ck ur no3 again mayb tonite aft e water runs for awhile liao...As new n old water mayb havnt reali mix tog yet so ur true level of no3 might not b out yet... :lol:

Denitrators are hard to tune and are for those who are dedicated to mintor it well or else you risk getting poisoned by the toxic H2S produced if wrongly tuned ;)