NEw tAnK

mv3i

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Anthias very nice, clams are pretty!

MH looks very focused and intense in the middle.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

:)

thanks ..... got 1i cleaner in the tank and it seems that it is picking on the clams ..... should i remove it .... put it in the sump tank ... hahahahahahaa ......

another q .... : can i grow some macro algae in the sump .... pls ... anybody .... let me know what is good for that function and where to get .... anyone got some to spare ???? ... thanks in advance

yes , using a MH pendent light .... but seems from the picture that it's not sufficient at the corner ....

You can grow macro algae in the sump for nutrient export. Just provide sufficient light and harvest regularly. MH is not required.

As to type of algae, culpera are the easiest but tend to go asexual ie die off. Also can try some of the brown/red marco.

1 point to note is that you must maintain the salinity in a narrow range. Large fluctuation (more than 0.002) will or may cause die off.

Algae to spare? I could give you some but then again I may pass my flatworm problem to you. ;)

• SRC Member
Hi everyone ,

i just started this reef tank about 2 .5 months back ....

comments pls ?

I am looking for a digital PH probe and a digital temp probe .... anyone got lobang ...

Nice setup you have there mate for a 2.5 months setup. I can remember when mine was 2.5 months- still almost totally bare with nitrates at dangerously high levels.

Love your clams.

• SRC Member

hi again

thanks for the advise , i`m kinda curious to try adding the algae into the sump tank as i have a spare divider still yet to be used .... maximise the space.... !!! morgan , is your flatworm still a problem ... lmk ... thanks ...

aS FOR THE the anthias , they have started to feed on BS , got them from pasir ris .... at first having problem feeding them but , they just strated to feed on BS and no looking back after that ....

anyone can tell me what else to feed the corals ...

ps : anyone can tell me where to get digital PH probe and monitor and temp probe too ... and also how much ?

thanks

• SRC Member

hi morgan ,

ok .... thanks anyway , saw your thread on bulbs .... i`m curious .... i`m using a 10k MH light and 2x40w actnic light ... but the colour seems more white than blue ... is there any way to remedy that ....giving their true colours

the corals are not really

does using a radium bulb helps ...

blurred liao .....

pls advise

Hi mv3i

What colour do you really want?

10KK will give you white light, and actinic give violet. If you want to have a bluish cast over the tank then add more actinic. It is all a matter of preference.

What corals need is intensity, Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) which is the measurement of the wavelenght between 400nm to 700nm.

Bulbs that have a high PAR value are the iwasaki and these bulb has a yellowish tone. Normally these are supplement with very high wattage of actinic to cancel of the yellow.

Radium 20KK are blue bulb. Not really high on the PAR value..

• SRC Member

ok , thanks .... i really want to bring the colours out from the corals .... the clams are fine but the mushrooms that i have is not showing the really green colour that i was anticipating , is it because the actnic is not enough .... or is the MH too bright for the 2x40w actnic .... if i turn off the MH , damn they glow ... of course (dumbo me) ... what i`m trying to say say is that how can i bring out the colours of the corals ....

• SRC Member

Stronger actinics or more blue light will make the fluorescent pigments more obvious. UV or 'black' light will also make some corals glow, but it is too dangerous to be attempted in a small tank and as everybody knows, UV is harmful. What brand of 10kK are you using? If you don't want to go to 20kK because of low PAR, then you can try the 10000K+ bulbs like AB or Aquaconnect which are about 13000K. I've seen Corallife 10000K bulbs that are very blue too but I've never heard of anyone actually recommending them.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

hey thanks guys

i think will stick to the current setting .... anyone can advise on white spot on blue tang .... just seen a few on him this morning ... do i need to catch him out and quarantine him ..... or can use uv sterilizer for the whole tank ... anyone can advise on that .... cost n effectiveness?

• SRC Member
Stronger actinics or more blue light will make the fluorescent pigments more obvious. UV or 'black' light will also make some corals glow, but it is too dangerous to be attempted in a small tank and as everybody knows, UV is harmful. What brand of 10kK are you using? If you don't want to go to 20kK because of low PAR, then you can try the 10000K+ bulbs like AB or Aquaconnect which are about 13000K. I've seen Corallife 10000K bulbs that are very blue too but I've never heard of anyone actually recommending them.

Have you heard anyone saying their lousy? Just curious because I have a coralife 10000k pl bulb.

• SRC Member

do you mean the uv is useless???? how come ... have you used them before ??? would like to know more .... btw , you mentioned about the lighting that you used ... is it good and recomended ... got pics to show the lights over the tank