help!

• SRC Member

there is a high possibilty that u bought uncured LRs...and to add on that ur tank water have not run for a sufficient time....that may be the biggest possiblity...

crabs comes from the LRs itself..

jus my 2 cents..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

Do not buy any other stuff as you are still quite ignorant to marine life. The white stuff you mention is reacting to you new tank, may not be growing. Is it like a sponge?

Yes you get all sort of hitchiker when you buy LR. You cure them if you do not want them. They are for free, some good, some bad.

If your tank have no fishes, drop the salinity to 1.08 and most will perish. Then you clear their bodies. This includes the good hitchiker. Good or bad is quite subjective, so you decide.

Read on new tank setup which only allows fishes at 1 - 2 months time, check you water, good luck

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

hmm. i do not hav any livestocks still. only liverock. its like a thin cotton. i still don't quite understand wad they talking bout. coz wad they talking are those cure that i dun understand. so i muz continue waiting ?? u mean do nothing but just wait ? or should i buy something to remove those . :huh:

• SRC Member

Bro, reading up is a good way to start la.

But regarding yur rocks. Prob they have been out of water too long and the 'life' on the surface have started to decompose. Hence the white film on the rock.

Try lifing them out and smell. If they smell bad. then i'm rite.

(How bad is bad? Well trust me u will know it!)

WHat u can do. Blast direct currents at the rock. Then wait a week. Then change the water again. Be sure to check the sg pls. ;)

Check water with reliable test kits. And yur nose is also a good indicator to see if things really gone haywired.

The hitch hikers leh... well.. depending if u wanna keep them. They make interesting occupants, but some are dangerous to other more sensitive marine animals. (Etc: some corals, shrimps, smaller fishes... and wat hav u.)

In any case u decide to remove;

Wat u need,

-a bucket of mixed salt water

-tweezer

-newspaper on floor

-good light and most important...

-keen eyesight.

Dont suggest u dose with freshwater. Then might as well get dead rocks. Cheaper!

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

As for cured and uncured.

CURED- those things what will die is dead. Thus ready to be place in tank. Can be expensive. Mostly $8 - $20 per kilo. :nc: Depending on quality, judge by the color la basically.

UNCURED-those as mentioned, not dead but dying. And will continue to die in yur tank. Thus resulting is water parameters going off. Price depend on where u get them. $5 - up to $10 per kilo.

But! There are some exceptions! Good quality uncured life rocks!

These contain tons sorts of things that are still alive and kickin. Minimal transport time lag from harvest to retailer. But... cost wise can be more expensive then cured la. But with the amount of living things on the surface... who is to complain?

Some info are extra la, but i believe its good for u to know yur choices. ;)

Others feel free to correct me or add on. I'm no expert. Just putting everything to layman's terms. :lol:

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

rocks can't die as they are already dead....

why jump into a hobby without learning the basics...

u dun go jump into the sea and try to swim across english channel without learning how to swim in the pool, right????

as bro alfa suggested.... pls read the stickies and if possible read thru the whole newbie sub-forum.... u will get all your questions answered.... and u will get advice you didn't even think it is possible....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
rocks can't die as they are already dead....

why jump into a hobby without learning the basics...

u dun go jump into the sea and try to swim across english channel without learning how to swim in the pool, right????

as bro alfa suggested.... pls read the stickies and if possible read thru the whole newbie sub-forum.... u will get all your questions answered.... and u will get advice you didn't even think it is possible....

wah bro...u very fierce :cry:

• SRC Member

Good thing you dun have live stock. If the cotton wool is not on a big rock, waste it. Otherwise scrape it off.

Suggested Action Plan:

1. Test water parameter. Salinity, PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

2. Add "complete reef" additive.

3. Add 2 blue demsel to cycle. 1.5SGD a piece, dun overfeed.

4. Wait out the cycle.

5. Expect diatom (Algae) boom...

6. Remove demsel, if you can catch it :D

7. Rest the tank fishless for 2 weeks, to eliminates parasites. May add inverts.

8. Give Demsel away, as it may have parasite (ich) or QT it.

9. May add fishes of your choice, but QT these addition.

Hope I did not miss anything. Good luck. To me eliminating parasite is very important... Causes the most problem on a long run.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.