If Ph reading of 7.7 normal?

News

• SRC Member

Test the water just now and very surprise to find that the PH is only 7.7. I made another test on my tap water and it give a reading of 8.3. Had just change the batteries and calibrate with PH solution 7.0. Just wonder if this pen is faulty? And my tanks occupants look okay lah.

Test the water just now and very surprise to find that the PH is only 7.7. I made another test on my tap water and it give a reading of 8.3. Had just change the batteries and calibrate with PH solution 7.0. Just wonder if this pen is faulty? And my tanks occupants look okay lah.

You need to calibrate with both pH 7 and pH 10 solution in order to be accurate. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

You need to calibrate with both pH 7 and pH 10 solution in order to be accurate. ;)

Hana pan can't use PH 7 & 10. Tried correct one and another gone.

Anyway, my tap water is 8.2 also :D

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
Test the water just now and very surprise to find that the PH is only 7.7.  I made another test on my tap water and it give a reading of 8.3.  Had just change the batteries and calibrate with PH solution 7.0.  Just wonder if this pen is faulty?  And my tanks occupants look okay lah.

tap water fresh from the tap will gives a false reading cos of the chlorine, floride ions that are interfering with the probe.

test it on aged water or distilled.

• SRC Member

Hi Minsmarine,

I'm using Milwauk** model PH 600, can I using solution 10 to calibrate. The maual stated that it support reading from 0.0~14.00.

Hi Hotlemond,

What should be the reading of distilled water? Can I just get a bottle of those found in any departemental store and test it or use those boiled water and what should be the reading? Please advise?

If there is nothing wrong with the test pen, having such low PH will cause any problem to the tanks?

Please advise?

:bow:

Hana pan can't use PH 7 & 10. Tried correct one and another gone.

Anyway, my tap water is 8.2 also :D

You are right! Most pH pen calibrates with just one solution. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Hi Hotlemond,

What should be the reading of distilled water? Can I just get a bottle of those found in any departemental store and test it or use those boiled water and what should be the reading?  Please advise?

someone just mentioned 5.8. :ph34r:

wait.., i am going down to 7 11 and pick up a bottle. :lol:

but then again, i am not asking you to calibrate with distilled water hor.. :lol:

• SRC Member

I have both 7 and 10 but I use only 7 cause mime is HANNA ( borrow from neokn ). Tried to calibrate with 7 & 10 and compared with a expensive PH pen that my friend chemist uses in his lab ( calibrate with 4, 7 and 10 and automatic ).

To my suprise, HANNA gone crazy after calibrated with 7 & 10. So we try with 7 and noted only 6.5 - 8.5 range is accurate, the rest history.

So tried again calibrate with 10, my tank PH is 9.0 geeeeee.

Based on my exp, I would suggest to go for 7, since our tank is around that range.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

someone just mentioned 5.8. :ph34r:

wait.., i am going down to 7 11 and pick up a bottle. :lol:

but then again, i am not asking you to calibrate with distilled water hor.. :lol:

news,

your Ph pen could be okay. my tap water here 8.3 (west)

didn't see any distilled water at 7 11, the beer looks too enticing... oh well, might as well :D

I didn't PH test the beer though :lol:

• SRC Member

Probably the good old PH kit is better. I had used Hana and it is rather sensitive.

My tap water here in Pasir Ris is >8. Once I tried by calibrating with a Ph 7 fluid in Iwarna, the cal fluid reads 7, the 2 display tanks read 7.9 & 8.1 and some of the other tanks with fish read from 7.4 - 7.9 :whistle

tap water fresh from the tap will gives a false reading cos of the chlorine, floride ions that are interfering with the probe.

test it on aged water or distilled.

Not really interference because we are not talking about pure water so you don't expect 7.0

However that being said you will have problem measuring pure water as the conductivity is very low.

• SRC Member

Adding HCO3 would speed up ( if u r really encountering PH problem ), since ur PH is below 8.

Ocean Gump