My Leather Coral Is Growing Too Fast!

abangjohn

Hi all,

i just got a leather coral. after a day, i discovered that it had grown by about 50% of it's origianl size. and also there are many spiderweb like thingy growing on it. also instead of the smooth surface when i 1st got it, it has grown little 'spikes' on it's surface. is it what they call 'flowering'?

i would like to know what is the spiderweb thingy growning on it and also the little 'spikes'. and is it normal for leather coral to grow so fast?

Thanx.

• SRC Member

It's not growth, just expansion. Corals are water ballons. Those spikey things are probably it's feeding apparatus or lack of a better word, polyp. The spiderweb thingy might be it's mucous or mucous tunic which the leather sheds regularly.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
how u make ur leather expansion? lighting ? or flow...

mine always come out mucous... dunno what is that.. i find it irritating..

anyway what u feed ur leather?

did u find some shiny waxy layer on ur leather?

try putting under strong current.... realli helps... ;)

You don't have a nitrate test kit?? :o How did you even know you got pass your cycling period?? Seriously, you have to get the basic steps right. Can you tell us more about your system? Your soft corals really look like they are in bad shape.

To rectify nitrates:

1. Water change. 30% every few days until removed (cheapest but labour intensive)

2. Use nitrate-removing additives like AZ-NO3. (Emergency use but requires skimmer)

3. Setup a DSB system (too late now I guess).

4. Buy a denitrator unit (expensive, troublesome)

5. Upgrade your skimmer.

6. Reduce overfeeding/stop overstocking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Hi all,

i just got a leather coral. after a day, i discovered that it had grown by about 50% of it's origianl size. and also there are many spiderweb like thingy growing on it. also instead of the smooth surface when i 1st got it, it has grown little 'spikes' on it's surface. is it what they call 'flowering'?

i would like to know what is the spiderweb thingy growning on it and also the little 'spikes'. and is it normal for leather coral to grow so fast?

Thanx.

Are you?..... The Marchie AbangJohn?....

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.