Micro Bubble Stopper - Beckett Skimmer

Rocks

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

What i do is to control the micro bubble at the return pump so that my skimmer still works as it should.

How i do that is just to have a screen of filter wool around return to prevent micro bubbles.

Hope this helps

• SRC Member
What i do is to control the micro bubble at the return pump so that my skimmer still works as it should.

How i do that is just to have a screen of filter wool around return to prevent micro bubbles.

Hope this helps

:P Yeah I seconded that idea...as I have tried different methods like sock, coconut bag, tap filter bag, cloth mesh pouch, extra pipings, cover outlet mouth with filter wool, etc....only to discover that they solve the micro-bubbles problem for the moment.

...until I tried this cost-effective method that is to insert a big rectangular piece of stiff black filter sponge (which u can buy from any aquarium shop) in between the return pump & baffle at the last section of the sump.

The 'holes' in the sponge effectively trapped any big & small bubbles & of course dirt particles that flow through it. :rolleyes:

Maintenance is easy as I just take the sponge out, rinse it, tap it to remove water droplets & then re-use... save money$ !!! :D;)

Mirco-bubbles no more...except now I have to deal with my resident 'bomber' :nuke: in my main tank that periodically spurts out sands, mess up my corals & water clarity... :angry::pirate:

Cheers... :idea:

• SRC Member

May I know whether if it's the norm to have micro bubbles out of the skimmer even if it's properly tuned? Is this problem only exists for beckett skimmer and not the other types of skimmers?

If it's the norm, why didn't the manufacturer solve this problem?

Thanks.

Due to the high turn-over rate in a beckett, it is diffcult to solve the micro bubbles exiting out into the skimmer especially for those beckett skimmers designed with small little box or w/o any box.

Those with bigger and taller box can have baffles built-in to reduce the micro bubbles exiting the skimmer.

A better and more full proof ways would be to use a sump that has properly designed baffling spacing and no. of baffle to eliminate the micro bubbles.