Help ! FOWLR or Reef Tank?

Hi Guys

I am a confused kid now.

After some feedbacks when i buy corals from forumers, i wonder if i shud proceed to keep a reef tank or FOWLR.

Basically the feedback i got was that to maintain a reef tank, yu need alot of affords like dosing lots of elements and additives unlike FOWLR.

Even if i can accept the chores of dosing, the selection of fishes will be another headache. I like Angel and Butterfly but was told tht they are not reef safe.

Anyone care to share their decision as to why you chose FOWLR or Reef tank?

Thanks alot.

• SRC Member

Its good to have a fish tank, as many beautiful\cool fishs are not reef-safe. I'm especially interested in the boxer fish, so cute.... but they not reef-safe so cannot have them. :(

I started into reef tank because my initial interest is Nemo, and it somehow stay in reef coral in wild, so that's how it go.

• SRC Member

Well , u'll go thru the pahses lah. After a few yrs of reef, u may wanna go back to fowl cos the triggers n big angels n butterflies all very beautiful. And then after thta back to reefing. So depending on yr current interest & resources (in terms of time n $$$), u shd choose the type that most appropriate for teh monet n enjoy it.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
Basically the feedback i got was that to maintain a reef tank, yu need alot of affords like dosing lots of elements and additives unlike FOWLR.

Unless you keep mushies or other hardy corals, it generally takes a lot more work maintaining a reef tank than a FOWLR. So if you're still fairly new to the hobby, I suggest you stick to FOWLR for the moment until you're comfortable with the workload for marine fish in general, before moving up (if you want) to keeping corals. Stay away from SPS in particular unless you have deep pockets and a fair amount of reefing expertise. ;)

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

IMO a fowlr also require some efforts in maintaining.I'm sure u will want to maintain certain level of ca,mg & dkh if u want your liverocks covered with coralline algae.& also fishes produce more waste than corals so good water quality is challenging.not to mention fighting with ich & disease.

• SRC Member

hi bro ...

i used to have a FOWLR tank only.. keeping all the colour fishes etc etc.. but after keeping for two years.. decided to take up more challeges by keeping corals . i was stunt when i saw a 4ft tank full of colour corals at one of my friend house. wanted it myself too.. but now still in the process of learning on corals. but sometime still thinking of fish only.... well.. can't have both of the two... from my views.. either FOWLR or REEF.. each have it own pro and cons in keeping.. it is a challege for oneself to be respon and effort in maintain one and keep it going...

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advise.

Both hv its pros n cons. Since i already hv MH and chiller, to keep FOWLR will be wasted resources. Moreover both require some of my time as well. Guess i wl hv to stick to reef tank with all possible corals minus SPS.

Hopefully they can sustain.

Thanks agn.