experts needed ,strange encounter

hi guys got a strange encounter which i cant really solve , last week since my tank crash , i change sand to a dsb add in old rocks and previous water ,

i then start to cycle my tank once again by throwing in a market prawn ,it normal cycling for the fist 3 days where ammonia shoot up then suddenly which is 6 days later.

I test my water and to my suprise ammonia -0,no2 -0 and no3 -80

what happening ?is this what they call speed up cycling ,or due to my old rock and water my tank is cycled and am i ready to add fish now? tks guys .

:blink:

• SRC Member

patience brother....patience you must........to play safe leave your tank to cycle for a couple more days.......no hurry.

By the way how big is your tank??

There is a high chance that your existing cured LR & Water may have speed up the cycling process but your DSB is relatively new.....so leave it for a while longer.....

(By replying this, I am no expert :paiseh: )

• SRC Member

your old LRs are definitely doing the ammonia reduction hence the quick ammonia/nitrite spike phases. the DSB will not begin to show much effect until many months down the road, so don't be surprised if your NO3 remains high. in fact 80ppm is rather high you should do a significant water change before introducing LS.

actually, you should have changed the water when you reset the tank rather than recycle the old water. if you had done so, with the old LR, your tank would be more or less ready to accept some initial livestock. now, with the high nitrates old water, conditions are not so good :(

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member
hey loster long time no see ya , ok how many month for dsb to mature to be exact 6 months? and i believe u mean no3 and not no2 right?also it really can take 6 months for tank to mature tks again B)

opss... typo :P u are right. it is N03 not N02 :P best is <5ppm but not more than 20ppm. personally i find it hard to believe that n03 can reach 0ppm :lol:

for your dbs to mature, that will depende on your system :D 6 months or more ;)

age.png

• SRC Member
your old LRs are definitely doing the ammonia reduction hence the quick ammonia/nitrite spike phases. the DSB will not begin to show much effect until many months down the road, so don't be surprised if your NO3 remains high. in fact 80ppm is rather high you should do a significant water change before introducing LS.

actually, you should have changed the water when you reset the tank rather than recycle the old water. if you had done so, with the old LR, your tank would be more or less ready to accept some initial livestock. now, with the high nitrates old water, conditions are not so good :(

My tank is going 4mths old. My ammonia & no2 is low somewhere near 0. But my No3 is about 25 to 50 ppm. I've bought a brand call BIOHOME. BIOHOME advertised on their packaging they got a big surface area for both nitrifying 7 denit bactiera. bought total of 1.3kg. Put in sump after the filter moss. But No3 still same.

Thinking of getting this Nitrate reductor from LFS. Anyone knows if it;s effective?

Thankd

• SRC Member
I'm using a denitrator & still find it difficult to bring NO3 to 0ppm. It range between 5 - 10ppm in my 5 footer

Is this denitrator of yrs selling for abt 130 bucks? Name is call nitrate reductor on the box? Or yrs is the high end 1? THanks.

Added sugar (read from a thread in here) direct to my tank on Sat nite. Sun morning wake up, measure nitrate. still same.

Then add sugar direct to sump tank where the ceramic rings are. Later tank like go to Genting highland halfway. Go out shopping then come back.....tank like reach Genting mountain top..... cloudy like hell. Observe that protein skimmer got lots of foam in the collection jar. Mon morning measure nitrate still same.......

Is it something wrong with my tetra kit? I add in 14 drops of bottle 1, shake, 7 drops of bottle 2, shake, add in full spoon(powder fill to the brim of the spoon), shake for 20secs, then add in 7 drops from bottle 3. Am I correct?

• SRC Member

Is this denitrator of yrs selling for abt 130 bucks? Name is call nitrate reductor on the box? Or yrs is the high end 1? THanks.

Added sugar (read from a thread in here) direct to my tank on Sat nite. Sun morning wake up, measure nitrate. still same.

Then add sugar direct to sump tank where the ceramic rings are. Later tank like go to Genting highland halfway. Go out shopping then come back.....tank like reach Genting mountain top..... cloudy like hell. Observe that protein skimmer got lots of foam in the collection jar. Mon morning measure nitrate still same.......

Is it something wrong with my tetra kit? I add in 14 drops of bottle 1, shake, 7 drops of bottle 2, shake, add in full spoon(powder fill to the brim of the spoon), shake for 20secs, then add in 7 drops from bottle 3. Am I correct?

no matter how i measure, tetra will alwways give you high reading ;)

age.png