2damsels-dead-in-new-tank help

• SRC Member

gd evening to all expert reefers. i have set-up a 4'/2'/1.5' tank and was left with an empty sandbed without any liverocks for 2 weeks. after the 2 week i added a few kg of liverocks, waited another 1.5weeks and i add 2 damsels which will produce ammonia in the tank to kick off the cycling process. a suspected-to-be-bleached carpet anemone is added too, bought it cuz its so purple, which is a little wierd. i suspect its bleached because the wastes in my skimmer is purple!!!

my problem now is both my damsels died this afternoon, three days lifespan :cry2:

should i get another pair of damsels to continue with the ammonia spiking? or other steps are required? so far i have added the vitamin packets included in the corallife salt and a bottle of nitrifying bacteria.

can expert reefers share a little info??? :thanks:

• SRC Member

bro, usually cycling with live rocks is enough already, there will be enough die off plus beneficial bacteria to help seed your filter.what i think is that probably you adding the liverocks in the middle of your initial cycle caused another mini spike. Suggest you leave the tank a few more weeks without livestock.

• SRC Member
bro, usually cycling with live rocks is enough already, there will be enough die off plus beneficial bacteria to help seed your filter.what i think is that probably you adding the liverocks in the middle of your initial cycle caused another mini spike. Suggest you leave the tank a few more weeks without livestock.

what about adding additional liverocks? can i do that?

Hi, just to let you know that I used the same avatar as you once.

Anyway, we do not recommend you use fish as a source of ammonia. This action is totally inhumane and the amount of ammonia you get is so minute.

I suggest you use a market prawn and let it rot for about a week which will produce enough ammonia to knock you out (literally) ;)

Pls do read up more on certain LS as you seem to only buy them due to their looks. FYI, an anemone is a very difficult animal to keep alive in captivity and you should know that before you buy one.

Hope you read up soon!!! :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Hi, just to let you know that I used the same avatar as you once.

Anyway, we do not recommend you use fish as a source of ammonia. This action is totally inhumane and the amount of ammonia you get is so minute.

I suggest you use a market prawn and let it rot for about a week which will produce enough ammonia to knock you out (literally) ;)

Pls do read up more on certain LS as you seem to only buy them due to their looks. FYI, an anemone is a very difficult animal to keep alive in captivity and you should know that before you buy one.

Hope you read up soon!!! :lol:

thanks for your information bro. i was actually just following the steps written in Aquarium&PetsAsia magazine that to add in 5 damsels to feed nitrogen cycle. maybe it IS inhumane.i will heed your advice and use market prawn instead. :peace:

and also about the anemone i bought, i bought it because the colour really attrated me :lol:

• SRC Member

i think anemones are for stable tanks which have passed their cycles ... your tank has is still at the starting stages of the cycle it may take from 2 weeks to 5 weeks. the reason anemone can bleach could be from the stress of the cycle or your lighting is not enough for it ...

i have to say it mostly likely its the cycle if u have a friend with a marine tank might ask them to hold the anemone until your tank has cycled

• SRC Member
i think anemones are for stable tanks which have passed their cycles ... your tank has is still at the starting stages of the cycle it may take from 2 weeks to 5 weeks. the reason anemone can bleach could be from the stress of the cycle or your lighting is not enough for it ...

i have to say it mostly likely its the cycle if u have a friend with a marine tank might ask them to hold the anemone until your tank has cycled

what about the damsels? do you the water parameters are still not safe to add in fishes?? isn't it true that i can gradually add fishes a a slow rate during the cycle??

sorry but im kind of confused due to lots of different information sources

I advise you to be more patient and wait for the cycle to finish first

Isn't it better this way?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

bro..agreed...there are many ways to achieve the stability...but the main ingredient is patience. you asked about additional liverocks, i think it's fine to add them in during the cycling stage...however i suggest u get test kits...if u don't wanna invest in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate kits...i suggest u get nitrate(personal opinion, others don't flame). After u've added all your liverocks and NO livestock, add your market prawn, and let in rot.

Your chemical cycle will go through ammonia spike, then nitrite spike then nitrate spike...and finally nitrate becomes undetectable. Please note however that this process takes A FEW WEEKS.

once u've reached undetectable nitrates, u're pretty set to add your livestock. Don't make the mistake of testing too early as the beneficial bacteria may not have converted your nitrite to nitrate yet and may give u low or not readings.

as for livestock, please read up more. we all make mistakes out've rash decisions coz marine livestock can be really appealing and we can't resist buying them. BUT PLEASE, ascertain what conditions u need to sustain them before doing anything.

Damsels were originally recommended because they are hardy fishes but they are not invincible. Things like anemones need demanding and pristine water conditions that are more easily achievable with patience + enough lights and correct temperature.

In any case, search the forums or google anything you're not sure off.

• SRC Member

to bros blueheaven, ciaolong and dreamzcape:

thank you for your kind sharing of information, sure helped me alot.

and i learnt that patience is very important. i will leave my sytem alone by not adding livestocks :P

i will get nitrite and nitrate test kits too, just in case i added livestocks too early again :fear:

:thanks:

• SRC Member
did u add salt???

:lol::lol::lol: ....what sort of joke is that???...... :lol::lol::lol: ...brother...you joker la you! :lol: ....AREA51 is confusing enough liao!......

• SRC Member

cant help it.... i am shifting base from kopitiam.....

but seriously.... cycling tank means... nothing in the tanks except rocks and sand...

waiting for bacteria to grow on it.....

i dun see how come damsels should be put in.....

wrong advise never mind.... it frm a magazine?!?!?!?

martha stewart magazine i can still forgive.....

but a blardee fish magazine!!!!!!

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
cant help it.... i am shifting base from kopitiam.....

but seriously.... cycling tank means... nothing in the tanks except rocks and sand...

waiting for bacteria to grow on it.....

i dun see how come damsels should be put in.....

wrong advise never mind.... it frm a magazine?!?!?!?

martha stewart magazine i can still forgive.....

but a blardee fish magazine!!!!!!

thanks for your information bro Muar_Chee

i don't think i will be adding any livestocks for the next 2 or 3 weeks, after the recent departure of two damsels :sick:

and im serious about the fish magzine, its a past year copy i picked up at aquarama2005, maybe i'll scan the pages and post it here for you to see.

• SRC Member

no worries....

no need to go thru the trouble.... i believe u....

but i just cant believe a mag actually can publish wrong info....

then again... maybe its a matter of prespective....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

yeah, maybe i did interpreted their info wrongly :whistle

but then again i remembered this:

"if most of your 5 damsels are still alive, you may add more livestocks gradually throughout the rest of the cycle"

something like that.

• SRC Member

Best you perform testing to know when your tank is about cycled.

Generally once you have no\very-low ammonia, nitrite, and some nitrate. Give it few more days, then retest, if the result about same. Then you can add in some hardy livestock.

I don't recommend damsel. If your initial intention is to kickstart the cycling, now you can skip them. Them are not friendly.

Also avoid stocking anemone. Say, give yourself about 3 months as "probation" period for your tank. Also read more posts\articles about anemone.

When the cycling is done, you can consider stock in some cleaner critters, like hermit, shrimp, snails, cuke, etc. Then 1 or few weeks later, only look into hardy coral or fish.

You can use the LiveAquaria site as reference, there's a section of Marine Fish for beginner.

GL HF.

• SRC Member
Best you perform testing to know when your tank is about cycled.

Generally once you have no\very-low ammonia, nitrite, and some nitrate. Give it few more days, then retest, if the result about same. Then you can add in some hardy livestock.

I don't recommend damsel. If your initial intention is to kickstart the cycling, now you can skip them. Them are not friendly.

Also avoid stocking anemone. Say, give yourself about 3 months as "probation" period for your tank. Also read more posts\articles about anemone.

When the cycling is done, you can consider stock in some cleaner critters, like hermit, shrimp, snails, cuke, etc. Then 1 or few weeks later, only look into hardy coral or fish.

You can use the LiveAquaria site as reference, there's a section of Marine Fish for beginner.

GL HF.

Thanks bro Kelman,

i agree that damsels are not friendly but they are cheap and hardy.

maybe i'll read about on more hardy and friendly livestocks to add.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

hi bros,

just to update my tank.

tested for ammonia and nitrate yesterday and results are:

(without checking the pH value of tank waters, just tested how many mg/l)

correct me if my way is wrong :thanks:

ammonia = 0

nitrate = above 0, but not high yet.

my prediction that my 2 damsels is that maybe the ammonia is too high and nitrates building up.

is my mindset correct? :thanks: