advise needed on dive regs

reefer guy

• SRC Member

im intending to get my own dive regs soon as it is the last piece of necessary gear ( i hope :ph34r::ph34r: ) that i still dont have... Ive been eyeing on Apeks ATX200 as ive heard it is good. Downside is ive heard maintenance is a hassle as there are not much parts locally available for servicing...

Anybody can advise me?

thanks!

First time I hear of it... I think there are many users of Apeks around... go to the local dive forums to see how they go about doing it... or maybe the local agents?

• SRC Member

u can try www.finsonline.com

www.finsonline.com

The last i heard, U can also try Pertama in Tan Boon Liat Building, if i recall the shop's name correctly... they do carry it..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

divemaster pratama.

315 Outram Road, #09-07 Tan Boon Liat Building Singapore

Tel: 6226-0991

Btw why u want to buy ATX 200 just becos ppl say good???

Actually buy 1 that is within your range. tx50 is also good

My $0.02 cents

• SRC Member

ah yes, Pratama... hahaha... u can always trust Hammerhd to give u the right names and addy.. hahaha.. die.. hammerhd must be :angry: and cursing me coz next time, ppl will arrow him.. hahaha... :whistle:eyebrow:

if possible, try out the regs first.. take it for a dive.. u might not like it then.. Mares Abyss also not too bad... but if u compare among TX series.. i think TX50 is quite good on its own..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
@##@%#$^%^*&

There is always a thing call GOOGLE <_<

questions on scuba, go to SRC's google centre....

PM Hammerhd... hahahahaha :lol::lol:

• SRC Member

ATX 200 was recommended to me by an instructor i dived with, then asked around shops how they find it they say its good... and since im kuku with such things, i have to get opinion of the rest.

ive seen in www.yellowpages.com.sg that pratama, and its nearby my place actually, but dont really know if they sell coz i think they are just the dealer not retailer (correct me if im wrong) also, what im trying to find out ismaintenance and parts availability.... almost bought x-650 but luckily was advised not to as parts are rather expensive and maintenance is quite high....

daimy, ive heard posiedon is good, but too expensive for my budget :paiseh:

• SRC Member

Jon,

one man's meat is another poison. First, find out more abt the regs. Set a budget, find out the ranges within the budget.

For instance, some may say that SP MK25/S600 are good, may may say that Mares Abyss is good... both regs are different in performance..

Poseidon uses piston while most regs uses diaphragm... Are u looking for balanced or unbalanced regs? Mostly, the regs in the market are balanced.

I also like poseidon, especially Jetstreme and especially X-treme but like u mentioned, budget constraint..

also, poseidon tends to be wet breathing which some divers are not used to it..

• SRC Member
xtreme chio leh

can maintain underwater. :P

It depends on your budget bro.

No point u buy a top range reg if you are going to dive to 20m right?

if like wat Hammerhd had mentioned, 20M.. if on budget, u can also use a very long hose.. just kidding... :lol:

yah.. consider ur depth too.. on a serious note, u can use ur depth as a gauge to decide on the regs...

• SRC Member

thats a good point hammy, i never took depth and usage as consideration for my regs..... will take ur advise...

but anyway, since uve mentioned about tx50, how would u rate its performance, maintenance and price?

• SRC Member

Again, TX50 have this knob at the side of the reg which adjust the flowrate of breathing.

More often than not, most divers can adapt themselves to factory settings in the regs.

The knob can adjust the flowrate depending on the workrate of ur activities below.. then ask urself, do u really need such a function? Because of such a function, different users have different opinions on it.. i find it a bit heavy even though it is a pretty good reg.. from wat i know, most Tech divers uses it as well.

• SRC Member

it is a good average level reg.

It is easy to use but the downside is it is heavy

The maintance is cheap cos there are a lot of ppl who can service it.

But 1 stupid thing about knob is that it will jam if you dun used so often loh.

My stupid reg.... <_<

• SRC Member

yah.. i tried it once and after the dive, i get jaw fatigue... felt like lifting weights underwater...

• SRC Member

u see lah, hammerhd, told u to change ur mouthpiece already.. who ask u to have that mouthpiece being shaped like a particular anatomy??? hahahaha..

• SRC Member
it gives a bett feeling wat...

Hey hey family forum leh

dun noe wat u thinking???? :whistle:whistle