how long is the cycling process

• SRC Member

When you start a saltwater tank, its best to wait for at least 31 days before adding livestocks.

As for myself, i will use market prawns to kick start the cycle. After 31 or more days, use a good test kit to test your water perimeters.

The other key to a successful reef tank, Patience. Don't be too eager to add livestocks.

Just my 2cents worth. Hope this helps. :)

• SRC Member

nevermind, if u decide to sell your equipment.. i want.... :evil::evil:

You are only starting to spend $$...... you will need to spend at least 500-700+ on corals to fill up that tank of yours....plus other life stocks such as cleaner shrimps, AT, etc. Cab fare or petrol for those multiple trips to farms, lck, LFS.......Not to mention your monthly electrical bills.....

Anyway, u can always involve your gf when shopping for corals, fishes... she get interested after a while

My fastest record for a 2.5 ft tank was 1.5 weeks.

Shifting house then and did not have much time to start up the new tank. Nothing died from that move.

Try to get an accurate reading with your test kit. If >80 you wait.

If you are ready to cut some corners, your tank can actually begin to receive some hardy fishes like damsels/chromis. Generally these fishes can take nitrates of >40. Over time if you acclimatise your fishes, most fishes can survive in a high nitrate environment. I have tried this out on my blue tang and mandarin (unintentionally of course).

Make sure that Ammonia and nitrites are low though.

Get your nitrates to <20 before adding corals, they should survive in the short term but growth will be affected by the nitrate levels. Choose only hardy specimens. Don't try out with those requiring perfect water conditions. You can read up on them at www.liveaquaria.com

In the meantime, try to achieve perfect water conditions.

Happy reefing. :D

• SRC Member
Well you can throw in a few small piece of market prawn. Let them rot inside to speed up the process. Some micro algae in your refugium will help too.

You got all the good stuff :bow:

Wish I got the $$ to own them... :lol:

can introduce bacteria also to speed up the cycling process.. :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
Thank you all for the advice,

I don't know whether it is a mistake to get into this hobby.

cos:

-$ keep buying equipment

-time consuming

- girl friend start to get piss liao

- etc

:(

When you have a complete setup. She love you more.... Its a total stree relieve by viewing your tank. You have quite expensive stuff huh. :D

• SRC Member
Hi ,

newbie here, just set up a 4 feet tank with LR in liao. measured the nitrite level using tetra test kit, but it shows pink/red color. how long will the nitrite level drops ! as me eager to add stock.

many tanks :):thanks:

Go buy a bottle of nifrifying bacteria. I used Tropical Science Nitromax Marine. I got my tank running in 28 days. Patience is the name bro.. :D Welcome to the world of reefing=Spending lots of money. Hee.... :D

• SRC Member
I just fritz #9.. and I introduce 1st fish after 7 days... although the bottle state just 3 days and the cycle should be completed.

hey bro, im using same brand of nitrifying bacteria :lol:

when u add the nitrifying bacteria? after adding liverock?

fish added within' 7 days!?! thats fast!

but im not really willing to risk that

Bro,

My setup is 4ftx1.5ftx2.5ft...i let it run for 2mths. I put some damsels to quicken the process.

Its a bit cruel to do this as they lead a life of stress during the process..but all of them manage to live to date...my 2 cents worth

• SRC Member
:D Longer The better best is start to stock up after 6 monhts if you can wait if not 1 month is should be enough just ensure that yr no2 & nh4 is 0 ;) before u start to stock up.

6mths?!? :shock:

i doubt many of us have no such patience to wait for 6mths to add fish :lol:

hey bro, im using same brand of nitrifying bacteria :lol:

when u add the nitrifying bacteria? after adding liverock?

fish added within' 7 days!?! thats fast!

but im not really willing to risk that

I also added fritzyme #9... After cycling water with live rocks inside for 7 days and the Ammonia and nitrite still high, impatient liao then go buy 1 bottle... added in already, 4 to 5 days later, Ammonia and Nitrite both drop to 0... I was very surprised also but it happened.

I added 2 false clowns and 1 hermit crab day after i added fritzyme #9...

Jus to let u know my exp but i believe everyone has their own opinions and may exp different things even if using same steps...