using total Distilled water for setup??

ong2ah

• SRC Member
Is it a gd and recommended way to use only distilled water to set up a new 1 ft + tank?? any comments?? Can it help to control algae and build up of PO4 in system effectively?? :thanks:

Definitely a plus to your tank :-)

Eric

• SRC Member
definately a minus in the pocket.... compared to normal water....

yup... not very cheap to use distilled water... now i set up a very small tank for my friend.. juz 23 litres of water... so thought of experimenting a bit on distilled water.. to make sure the system starts up gd and free of phosphate, silica or whatever unwanted metals or impurities in our tap water... cos the OHF very small ... juz nice to put filter wool and biohome... no space to put carbon and other stuff...

Bro, by the way... i am only using coral sand as sand bed.. and no coral chips in filter compartment... is it risky?? cos i no space to put... my present not so nano 2 feet tank.. i use quite a lot of coral chips to buffer the system..... 1st time trying coral chips free... Thanks :thanks:

• SRC Member

yup... not very cheap to use distilled water... now i set up a very small tank for my friend.. juz 23 litres of water... so thought of experimenting a bit on distilled water.. to make sure the system starts up gd and free of phosphate, silica or whatever unwanted metals or impurities in our tap water... cos the OHF very small ... juz nice to put filter wool and biohome... no space to put carbon and other stuff...

Bro, by the way... i am only using coral sand as sand bed.. and no coral chips in filter compartment... is it risky?? cos i no space to put... my present not so nano 2 feet tank.. i use quite a lot of coral chips to buffer the system..... 1st time trying coral chips free... Thanks :thanks:

better you dun put the coral chips, they cause nitrate build up faster. the BioHome is good, just make sure you had the water pass thru the floss clean before reaching them. you can always use liquid additive to buffer your PH, but for such a small set up do use with caution in a good flow area.

• SRC Member

mmmm... my advise is get prepared to frequently dose in pH or hardness buffers, also the DO level is low for distilled water...you will need sufficient wavemakers to agitate the water to intro DO in. If you got a good skimmer... then no problem on the DO part... :)

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member
mmmm... my advise is get prepared to frequently dose in pH or hardness buffers, also the DO level is low for distilled water...you will need sufficient wavemakers to agitate the water to intro DO in. If you got a good skimmer... then no problem on the DO part... :)

:thanks: will try to be more careful in dosing the additives..cos its quite a small tank... thanks for reminding me on the low DO part... didn't realise that...

• SRC Member

better you dun put the coral chips, they cause nitrate build up faster. the BioHome is good, just make sure you had the water pass thru the floss clean before reaching them. you can always use liquid additive to buffer your PH, but for such a small set up do use with caution in a good flow area.

Coral chips will cause N03 to be high??? Nitrate factory... i thought put a lot of coral chips is gd... as it helps to buffer the tank better??

pls correct me if i am wrong in my concepts... :thanks:

• SRC Member

eh.., i think its a 1ft tank. he says got very limited space.

Hi, its a 1ft plus tank... 15 inch in length... so its 1.333333feet tank.. :lol:

Skimmer k help buffer the pH and kH ?? huh?? me blur liao..

despite being rearing marine fishes for 2 years...me still a lot of things dnt know... lately then aggressively improving my 2 feet tank... :paiseh: