need advise of screw drop into the water

loster

• SRC Member

this morning i was working on my MH light. i unscrew on one of the side section. when i was done, i screwed the section back and .... :pinch: i dropped one of the screw into the tank :blink:

i have searched for it but couldn't find it. i suspect it dropped into the hole of my rock work :(

now, if i leave the screw inside the tank, it will corrode and rust. how? should i just leave it or remove all my rock and search for it? :( it is going to be a big worked out man if i remove everything :erm:

it is ok to leave the screw inside the tank? :nc:

age.png

• SRC Member
this morning i was working on my MH light. i unscrew on one of the side section. when i was done, i screwed the section back and .... :pinch: i dropped one of the screw into the tank :blink:

i have searched for it but couldn't find it. i suspect it dropped into the hole of my rock work :(

now, if i leave the screw inside the tank, it will corrode and rust. how? should i just leave it or remove all my rock and search for it? :( it is going to be a big worked out man if i remove everything :erm:

it is ok to leave the screw inside the tank? :nc:

The ideal advice would be to remove the rocks and get the screw up. But if its really too tough............then run lots of carbon and pray for the best............

Eric

• SRC Member
Guess remember reading some articles some reefers purposely put some iron screw to remove phosphate. Ain't some Phosphate removers made of Iron too?

hey i didn't know that :P sound good huh :lol:

age.png

• SRC Member
Tie a magnet with a string and drop it in the crevice where you suspect the screw fell into. With luck, the screw MIGHT be attached to the magnet.

hmmm... :erm: i don't even know which area it dropped. i will trying tomorrow. hope that i can find it. really very troublesome :huh:

thanks for your advise :P

age.png

• SRC Member
do not know your tank size, bit if its just a less than half inch screw in a 3 feet tank, then i see that it should not be too much to worry about. the metal will disappear very soon.

really? good :yeah: my tank size is 3x2x2 and the screw is small type. less than 1/2". searched for an hour, still can't find it :unsure: if it will disapper, it will be great :D

age.png

• SRC Member

It will take "long" time for the nut to "melt".

Iron should be no worry, but we don't what actually make the nut.

You know, the market always use cheap stuff to manufacture things. Some nuts may contain undesired material.

Advise you start do carbon run regularly.

I don't think you need to worry excessively. Iron oxide is really very much inert. If iron was that harmful I don't think they would be purposely sinking ships in the oceans to make artificial reefs. But if the nut is made of copper...I'm not sure if it will do harm..but the word copper just does'nt sound too good does it? :lol:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
I don't think you need to worry excessively. Iron oxide is really very much inert. If iron was that harmful I don't think they would be purposely sinking ships in the oceans to make artificial reefs. But if the nut is made of copper...I'm not sure if it will do harm..but the word copper just does'nt sound too good does it? :lol:

agreed. a good example of the ship wreak there

• SRC Member

ya... copper sound scary man :cry: the screw is from DE MH light. it should be iron :P it is small, so, it will be like a small ship wreak in my 3x2x2 ocean :P

age.png

• SRC Member
Well guess phosphate remover like Rowaphos or Aquaz Purphos are also 'iron xide based', see article below;

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/review.htm

So if the screw is iron, then should be fine.

me run FR since day one. i am using Aquaz Purphos for about 5 months liao. wanted to change the media but my P04 still colourless from my test kit :heh:

i also use carbon. i change it every 4 weeks. so should be alright :P

i am still looking for the screw whenever i check on my tank. hope that i can see it some day :P

age.png

• SRC Member
i think a screw should be fine. I dropped one into my tank too. Its rusting and calcifying nicely and none of the inhabitant seems to protest.

sound great :lol: guess i shouldn't worry about it :P since i still can't find it, forget it ;)

age.png

• SRC Member

I didn't read the whole thing, so my comments maybe "obsolete".

Anyway, i believe your tank should be ok?

Had some experience on this and i think mine is worst that what you have experienced.

I was away for 1 week. My sis helped out on feeding the tangs with Salad. At one point she accidently pushed the automatic food dispenser into the tank and it was left there for 1 week!! It has 2 re-chargable battery in it.

When I came back a week later, I was shocked. The dry food was still in-tact in the container but must have been a good source of ammonia spike. Took it out and the battery was leaking!!!. Anything metal gone... rust set in. some oxidation was happening... the electronics were covered with white crust of don't-know-what.

Immediately change 50% of water. My skimmer stopped skimming cos the collection cup was full. I was using euro-reef that time.

But was lucky. no casualties. So, you shouldn't worry so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I experienced the same ...while mounting my MH DE light ..the screw dropped and dissappeared....assumingly settled beneath the rocks..

Ignored till date....no effects so far...my tank is 4ftX1.5Ftx2.5ft