Reintroducing fish..

• SRC Member

:D

Hi bro n sis....

I intro my purple tank as e 4th fish into e tank 4mths ago..N fm than onwards i have prob intro other fishes in. :( As e PT is lik a fighting fish.....He will treat all new fishes as enemy...Chasing them non stop....

I hav jzt catch it out n put it in my stdby tank.Thinking of intro other fishes in 1st b4 putting him bk in.Will tis helps???

Any advise???

tks :thanks:

• SRC Member

Lucky for yuu....I just intro a tiger goby and he just want to take a bite at it....I took the goby out and put in my sump and it is ok. After one day, I placed back into the main tank and the blue tang start again.

I was so furious with it that I want to catch it out but it go and hide inside the scaping...damm smart, so everytime, it wants to go near the fish, I would fish out my net and it would swim away and I think it got the idea that I don't like it attacking new fishes

This method work for me but I would not know about yours

• SRC Member

You should introduce your less aggressive fishes in the tank first, before you start introducing the more aggressive ones (eg. tangs or angels). In this way, you let the less aggressive fishes (eg. gobies, cardinals etc) establish their territory in the tank before the aggressive fishes.

Just my 2cents. ;)

• SRC Member
Lucky for yuu....I just intro a tiger goby and he just want to take a bite at it....I took the goby out and put in my sump and it is ok. After one day, I placed back into the main tank and the blue tang start again.

I was so furious with it that I want to catch it out but it go and hide inside the scaping...damm smart, so everytime, it wants to go near the fish, I would fish out my net and it would swim away and I think it got the idea that I don't like it attacking new fishes

This method work for me but I would not know about yours

I was so angry with it tat i tear dw e rock scape in order to catch it...Aft tat it took me quite sometime to rescape my LR bk. :angry:

Dun noe tat blue tang oso so aggressive one??huh....Tot he friendly looking looking 1 leh...keke....

How abt powder tang???Is it aggressive oso???Had bought a powder tang n thinking of intro it in 1st n aft stable then put bk e Purple tang as my last fish in...

Any bro or sis here try tis method of reintro fish in b4 n aft tat e aggressive fish become tame???

Pls advise as i dun wan it to chase aft e other fishes again n most impt i dun wan to tear dw e whole rock scape in order to catch it out..damn tiring man... :(

tks :thanks:

• SRC Member

tangs need a lot of space and will generally be very territorial... purple tang is one of the most aggressive. unless you're pretty attached to him i suggest you get rid of him. i sold mine when it kept chasing just about everyone else in the tank. :angry:

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member
tangs need a lot of space and will generally be very territorial... purple tang is one of the most aggressive. unless you're pretty attached to him i suggest you get rid of him. i sold mine when it kept chasing just about everyone else in the tank. :angry:

Me thinking of sellin it off oso leh but my wife beri attach to it leh...sigh......

I have shift it to a stdby 2ft tank liao...Aft i hav put in all e fishes that i wan then i will try to put him in as e last fish to try out again..

If he cont to chase all e oldies in e tank then i will sell it lor..If not i will keep him in e 2 ft tank as a pet for my wife lor kekeke.... :lol:

• SRC Member

wah..., lucky guy, your dad support your hobby eh :D

those drilled holes, you dad make those too?? They are like precision machine drilled, so evenly spaced apart. I guess torelance is +/- 0.1mm :lol::lol:

:heh::heh: that plastics thingy quite chio leh ... the drilled holes are evenly spreaded. Like machine made. CNCed si bo?

:peace:

• SRC Member

hi marble.

as i'm sure you know, tangs are extremely territorial. from what i know, they are classed within the "grazing" group of fish, whose behaviour it is to roam large expanses of the coral reef for food. angels on the other hand are "harvesters", asserting themselves over an area which they occupy. both of these groups of fishes require spaces far larger than what our captive tanks can offer, hence more pronounced agression. there are lots of examples of successful overstocking (that is, more than one tang per any-smaller than four feet tank), but this is usually achieved after trying many different specimens of tangs, or having suffered casualties in the process.

seeing as you already have the purple tang, and judging by your efforts to acclimatise it to the other fishes, you clearly seem to be keen to keep it, so i'd suggest trying to add some more live macroalgaes into your display tank. try species that dont usually go sexual like the gracilarias (red macro algaes) or chaetos and place them in areas away from your main live rock structures if you dont want them to grow there. they help bind nitrates, phosphates, and silicates as they grow and provide a natural source of food for your tangs. you can get macros daily at coral farm i think.

introducing live macros into your tank will ensure a constant supply of food for your tangs, and they ought to be consequently far less aggressive towards each other. if you cant manage that, the less-preferred option is to keep a constant daylight supply of dried nori clipped within the tank. tangs are grazers and need to constant forage, and are agressive usually insofar as to ensure sufficient food for themselves. some bro mentioned this before, but they are like the cows of the ocean and need to eat lots. if there seems to be little food around, theyll be more agressive.

also, sometimes rather than tapping the glass side of the tank when one sees signs of agression between fishes or something, you can try watching how the display of agression unfolds. sometimes its just a fish trying to assert its dominance, and just involves prodding or pecking at weaker fishes to show them whos boss or what. it usually stops once the hierarchy in the tank is established. if you have more than one tang in your tank, and both are similarly sized, that could be an issue too as both will not be able to totally assert dominance and constant fighting will ensue.

well, my two cents ya. hope it helps.

cheers man

ian