My 4 Ft Tank

DeepBlue

• SRC Member
But how to get that water quality? when? after your water change? if it always opens up this way.....and you are having a litttle diatom problem....is that still consider good water quality?

Do enlighten me..thanks

I have my diatoms and cyno under control, according to Borneman's book, the size of the coral indicates good water quality, my corals opened up fully but according to my nitrate reading the water is not top quality, I am puzzled too.

look at this picture, the sand is brown and you look at the coral size. this happen when I increased my MH from 9 to 10 hours, since then i have reduced it back to 9.25 hours.

I am using MM in my refugium which is supposed to give me good polyps expansion and it did.

post-34-1083255056.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diatoms is'nt that bad...copepods feed on diatoms.. So if you have alot of diatoms it does'nt necessarily mean its bad. It might look unpleasant, but its beneficial to your copepod population..

oh yeah...bro...I know copepods are good....but I still rather not have diatoms and cyno in my tank.....I am sure you know what I mean when these stuffs overflows onto the corals like sps...... :unsure:

so I will still strive for good water quality instead of high nutrient water quality.......

Yes those sold in shopping centers with 5 filters, anything wrong?

Did you test the RO water from the filter to test for the parameters?

What's the NO3,PO4 or TDS reading?

Like I mentioned earlier in my post, you could be still introducing NO3,PO4 into your tank during water change and that is why it does not solve your problem.

Marineman. I understand what you are sharing..

what puzzled me initially was that you said 'it is a good indicator of water quality'....though you did not say or indicate what kind of water quality...I assumed you are talking about good water quality..........

I guess the whole sharing has me really believe that LPS and nutrient rich environment goes well together... ;)

btw...just to clarify, you are showing me good polyp extension with that picture? I had these before, this one is not fully extended yet...right?

• SRC Member
still trying get the true colour of my tank...shots still appear too blue than actual look...must go get a filter... :lol:

If i may, its all about getting the right white balance.

To get your WB right before taking the shot, you may want to refer to this :-

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/showth...ighlight=coffee

Alternatively, to correct the WB after the shot is taken, shoot in raw

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...7&hl=raw+viewer

I believe G5 supports raw format.

oops sorry :off:

hehe......caught the bug...not yet....I will continue to resist...by showing more pics of my Softies and LPS

post-34-1083323382.jpg

documenting the corals in my tank everyday...after I installed the Hamilton Tech 14000K 250W lights

My acros, starting from the left to the right.....

post-34-1083390028.jpg

the blueness actually gives a more surreal look to the tank...IMO

other softies and LPS under the left acro colonies and frags

post-34-1083390396.jpg