Wat Do U Guys Use To Feed Yr Sps?

• SRC Member

Hey gang, was trying to look for info on wat frozen or freeze dried foods to feed SPS which extend their polyps at night (some in the day too...)

I know there's Golden Pearls and self-cultured planktonic foods, but these either unavailable locally or are a hassle to cultivate (for lazy bum like me! :P )

Please let me know wat kinda frozen or dry foods are correctly sized for SPS, and where to get them? Best if u can include the cost, dont wana get chopped by LFS. I saw some Cyclop-eze this afternoon (frozen and dried), but didnt know if it works for SPS...

Please enlighten me, THANX!!!

• SRC Member
Hey gang, was trying to look for info on wat frozen or freeze dried foods to feed SPS which extend their polyps at night (some in the day too...)

I know there's Golden Pearls and self-cultured planktonic foods, but these either unavailable locally or are a hassle to cultivate (for lazy bum like me! :P )

Please let me know wat kinda frozen or dry foods are correctly sized for SPS, and where to get them? Best if u can include the cost, dont wana get chopped by LFS. I saw some Cyclop-eze this afternoon (frozen and dried), but didnt know if it works for SPS...

Please enlighten me, THANX!!!

:P Before U purchase anything from the LFS, made sure U understand SPS feeding requirements -> particle size of 15~150 microns.....I do not think the product U mention made any sense except for breeding TONs of Algae :yeah:

:shock:

Max

• SRC Member

I don't feed anything to the SPS. It's not that they don't need food but some how something in the sand or rocks is feeding them and the sponges.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Brineshrimpdirect would be the only place left to get it...They have GP back in stockhttp://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/golden-pearls.html

Hon, the freight from them is abt US$18 for small packages. It would be cheaper to buy direct.

wedgee, maxima is right- u need to chk the food sizes, cyclop-eze is 750-800microns (bbs is abt 400microns), & if bbs is too big for sps how they gonna swallow cyclops.

there is no fast rule on feeding if you can supply enough light,calcium & water quality but if u really want to feed sps, go for rotifers or a rotifer size supplement.(you can buy live rotifers from waterc*rcle)

phytoplankton has been found in the gut of sps but it is not known yet if they actually digest it or are captured by accident.(i think the research is still going on)

Phyto will benefit indirectly by feeding the other organisms which SPS may capture as prey.

some links below regards to feeding corals- sps is covered in some of them.

G.A.R.F

Ron Shimek

Sanjay Joshi

Rob Toonen

Eric Borneman