Pay up even thou there's fire alarm

damien

• SRC Member

TodayOnline, June 24, 2005

Fire! But they were told to pay first before leaving

Staff of restaurant blocked evacuating customers

I REFER to the small fire that broke out at Plaza Singapura on Tuesday night. While it was rather scary being at the scene, I thought the building's staff and management reacted quickly and professionally.

However, I'd like to draw attention to a dangerous and irresponsible act by one tenant.

A friend and I were having dinner at the Swensen's restaurant when the fire broke out.

Our dinner had only just been served and we had barely started eating, but it was smoking and there were requests on the public address system for everyone to leave immediately.

So, the customers in Swensen's got up to evacuate the site.

At this point, the staff of Swensen's blocked the way and insisted we pay before leaving.

This meant that around 30 people had to wait in line to pay, when the building had already been evacuated and smoke was filling the restaurant!

The manager told us they were given 15 minutes to collect payment before allowing us to leave.

The 15 minutes could easily have cost lives. What if something had exploded? Or if children had passed out from smoke inhalation?

I am disgusted at this ridiculous prioritising of money over life. I hope something can be done to prevent such irresponsible acts from occurring again.

Letter from NICHOLAS TAN WEN-YU

• SRC Member

Wow just been there today and had desserts after dim sum.

Well for those who wanna make them pay...do a lodgement to FSSB and investigation will be made on the Plaza Sg guys on whether safety and evacuation protocol has been breached - rest assured they will get a damn heavy fine :evil:

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Tat was definately very unprofessional of Swensens. To collect the payments 1st could actually cause lost of lives. Which is more important? $$ or life? Wat people should do is to stop going there and the affected people should lodge a complaint to SCDF, CASE and Swensen's HQ. The manager should be shot. A big portion of people who died in fire outbreaks is killed not by the fire itself, it is actually by inhaling the smoke. :angry:

As a manager, he should be liable for the safety of his staffs and the public who patronise the resturant.

So, to the manager: Please stand out and explain to the public and justify for your action.!

Watch your thoughts’ they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

--Frank Outlaw

• SRC Member

i think u should write to them for a explaination. If there no repiled, shoot it on Straits Times or Today , i can only said that maybe you are not the only one who "kana". And it's really that bad for Swensen to behave in this manner. Shame on the manager and swensen!

• SRC Member

I think there was a formal apology in the papers already.

Yesterday, i had a 10-20% off in my bill, thought it was because of my card

but could have been the "goodwill discount".....did some foolish act and then

thereafter try to win customers by losing DISCOUNTS to all patrons.

Wondered if they had brought all the collected money out of the building or

left it at the cashiering machine (apart from the card payment type).

If there is no POS system, wondered if there is anyone in there that have

strike a small pile from the evacuation...hmmmmm :P

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
OOoo.. imagine if i were at pro-photo trying out one of their digital medium formats.. then fire break out... run off with a 19k camera.. woohoo

if there was a massive fire then you could get away. if it is a small fire like that day, they just go back and check CCTV, then you can play wif your camera in CHANGI PRISON loh :lol:

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

if there was a massive fire then you could get away. if it is a small fire like that day, they just go back and check CCTV, then you can play wif your camera in CHANGI PRISON loh :lol:

;) then you can do all the photo shoot at Changi hotel liao!! :lol:

• SRC Member

Swensons or the manager is damn stupid. Assuming the 30 people spends an average of $20....that means $600 in total. To breach fire safety regulations and antagonise the patrons and get bad reputation for $600 bucks is senseless. They will lose business amounting to many times of $600.

I for one would think twice about visiting Swenson from now.

I think (marine) therefore I am