Green Slime Algae

• SRC Member

I've this green slime algae growing and spreading along the sandbed and the lower part of the glass.

Nitrate : 5mg/l

Nitrite : 0.1mg/l

Sorry, that's the only test I can carried out at the moment.

Lights are on for 8hrs per day. I also have this Seachem PhosGuard in my HOB.

1. Besides reducing feeding, reducing light on period, RO or DI; what other measures can I take?

2. Even those turbo snails dun even bother to eat it. Any good algae eater to recommend that will eat it?

3. It's difficult to remove them by hand or siphon it out; any good idea to remove them maually?

Thank you. ;)

post-7-1118803897.jpg

• SRC Member

I did have similar stuff in my main tank sand bed, but is red\purple.

I believe they are cyanobateria.

siphoning is hardly any effective, thought probably still may help.

Here my experience:

- reduce feeding, from everyday feeding to 2 days once (2,4,6,7).

- use something to block out the light to them. Use some cheap car-carpet-mat, cut the right size, put them over.

after 1 week, they do reduce or not visible. However they "may" grown back.

I noticed 2 areas, 1 is effectively no more, the other seems to revive back. I'm on my 2nd try now.

- I noticed 1 of my big affected area, my black sea cucumber slip under the covering, and seems to eat those thingy. That's where the effective no-more area.

I suggest you can use the snails\cuke to help eat the surviving culprit. You have to place them on the spots, they are blind afterall. Don't wait for them go there themself.

HTH

• SRC Member
I did have similar stuff in my main tank sand bed, but is red\purple.

I believe they are cyanobateria.

siphoning is hardly any effective, thought probably still may help.

Here my experience:

- reduce feeding, from everyday feeding to 2 days once (2,4,6,7).

- use something to block out the light to them. Use some cheap car-carpet-mat, cut the right size, put them over.

after 1 week, they do reduce or not visible. However they "may" grown back.

I noticed 2 areas, 1 is effectively no more, the other seems to revive back. I'm on my 2nd try now.

- I noticed 1 of my big affected area, my black sea cucumber slip under the covering, and seems to eat those thingy. That's where the effective no-more area.

I suggest you can use the snails\cuke to help eat the surviving culprit. You have to place them on the spots, they are blind afterall. Don't wait for them go there themself.

HTH

Thanks bro, will try out your method. ;)