Cyanobacteria!

• SRC Member

Ok folks, confirmed I got cyanobacteria in my tank.. those mysterious black gooey sticky circles I see on my DSB... now spreads....

Any suggestions how to cure it? My water parameters are ok....

Salinity - 1.023

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5

How??? I know I got a long battle ahead.... besides, cutting down on feeding and working up on my skimmer? ANyThing else I can do? Help! :cry2:

Also, I got siphon out a few....

It's a water quality issue.

Too much dissolved organics, phosphates etc.

Get rid of these and your cyano will go away.

Either do regular water changes, reduce overfeeding/overstocking, or usage of enough GAC and phosphate removers. Or upgrade your skimmer. :)

• SRC Member

I bought a huge snail (definitely not astrea but shell is pyramid in shape) and it was feeding on the cyano + diatom... Is it so that they feed on cyano as well? Because that's what happened and I dun believe what I am seeing... :blink::blink::blink:

• SRC Member

Hihi seamonkee , any pics of yr snail. I m starting to see cyano in my tank as well. Just starting but better to get rid sooner than be sori later

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

I bought a huge snail (definitely not astrea but shell is pyramid in shape) and it was feeding on the cyano + diatom...  Is it so that they feed on cyano as well?  Because that's what happened and I dun believe what I am seeing...  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

ya man bro.. show us some pic..i got 4 snail with pyramid type shell as yours.. their head is a bit black and white.. dunno know are they the same..???

by the way... after the minor clean up yesterday.. so far havent see any more of them yet..

looking for prism skimmer for my 3ft tank btw.. anyone have please pm me

Actually, nothing feeds on cyano. It's distasteful.

I've never tried it myself... so I won't know.. :D but all the fishes and livestock that I have ever kept these years would give it a wide berth. :)

• SRC Member

I'm back today and the cyano has spread and cover the whole sandbed! Scary the way they multiply... at this rate, even if the snail is really eating the cyano... it will probably be eating it slower than it multiply.... :blink::blink::blink:

Never mind, on the positive side, if I "survive" this ordeal, it would make me a better leaner meaner reefer... :lol: Damn u, Cyano! :angry::angry: