Fire Clownfish

Creetin

• SRC Member

Tried feeding a piranha lately? How about clowns guarding eggs? :lol:

I've read many stories about how people have these clowns and when they reach their hands into the tank to do some work, they will need someone else to watchout for them incase the clowns attack. Also, there are people with docile clowns that don't do much.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I used to have a rather small tomato clown fish that really safe-guarded its host anemone....

Every time when I use my bare hands to feed the anemone it will rush out to peck me....

Guess wat? Its no longer in my main tank.... :P

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
phang, what u trying is forced pairing(either it accepts or it kills)- chk out www.saltaquarium.about.com on clown breeding- there are 3 methods of pairing & force pairing yields worst results(i tried with commons & got 1 pair out of 6 trys at forced pairs) . just tried a pair of skunks & so far still bitching-each at opposite ends of the tnk.

Hi Guys,

I have actually tried forced pairing my 2 gold stripe maroon clowns recently.... Placed them in my mains...

Only one question, How do I know whether they are a pair...

I placed a smaller specimen with my current large female...(I think)...

and they were having alittle of a squabble but an hour later were seen swimming together to and fro my reef......

Are they now a pair since no fights breakout???

Jus seen them this morning under a rock cave this morning that I have create ..... :rolleyes:

Am I gonna be a proud owner of a mated pair of Maroon Clowns???

• SRC Member

Clowns should be easy to pair. They aren't too finicky of their partner. As long as it is the opposite ######, it will do. When the fighting subsides and they swim together, that means they are paired. The female will still shove the male around a bit but it will be pretty minor.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Tried feeding a piranha lately? How about clowns guarding eggs? :lol:

I've read many stories about how people have these clowns and when they reach their hands into the tank to do some work, they will need someone else to watchout for them incase the clowns attack. Also, there are people with docile clowns that don't do much.

when my paired tomatoes was raising their eggs underneath the anemone, i was pecked at by both of them, each taking turns to have a go at me.. giving me a shock... coz they dun usually do that and are pretty used to me coming close to them and touch them at times... when i check why they doing that, i saw the reason why.. the eggs are pale and sticked to the base of the anemone..and they take turns to fan it...

the pecks aren't painful, just like a little pinch that dun cause bruises.

like what tanzy mentioned, they not too fussy abt their mates.. coz this is what happen. i have a large tomato inside my tank, dun know which ###### though so, decided to get a smaller one to try to mate them, first, lots of squabbles and the smaller one got chased alot.. however, the next day, i see them nesting comfortably in the anemone.. funny fellas..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Clowns should be easy to pair. They aren't too finicky of their partner. As long as it is the opposite ######, it will do. When the fighting subsides and they swim together, that means they are paired. The female will still shove the male around a bit but it will be pretty minor.

Absolutely right. My golden band maroons were force paired. They fought for a couple of days tearing fins and tails... but now they are swimming together all the time, sharing the anemone... though sometimes, the bigger clown (female) shoves the male around and they start to have minor domestic quarrels, but no more tearing of fins. :) .

As for breeding, I think I read somewhere that you do need an anemone for them to breed. They only lay eggs in or under the anemone, I think. :ph34r: I might be wrong.

Hmmm... pecking? I never got pecked by the clowns. They all siam when I reach into the tank. Even the most aggressive tomato will duck.

Do I need to obtain a anemone before they will breed???

Nope, you don't need a anemone for that.... just a ceramic tile will do or flowerpot.

I have a book on breeding clownfishes that I can share some tips with you.

Basically, you need to seperate the adults from the fry when hatching.. and you need to feed live rotifers to breed the frys.... after which you can progress to live brine...

Be warned... adults are highly protective of their eggs. You will get attacked.

• SRC Member
Thanks AT,

Do they lay eggs on Liverock???

the couple's already claimed a caven ... seen them both there this morning....any chance it would happen ??

Anyone out ther managed to breed Clownfishes.....

:)

yes, they do lay their eggs on LR... since they claim a caven, look out for perculiar behaviour...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.