Any side effect if mix kalk with tank water?

Eric

• SRC Member

My evaporation rate is very low as I change with NSW water and maintain my tank water level every week. The tap water from my place contains high silicates,phosphate and other impurities. I do not have a DI/RO unit. So far I do not have a Salinity issue.

Can I pump tank water into my kalk reactor for continous slow drip to control ph & raise alkalinity instead of using tap water? Is there any side effect ?

Eric

• SRC Member

huh? don't quite understand what you mean..

but what I do is I i rig up my DIY autotop up to pump water into a kalkreactor and the water from the KR goes into the main tank...

if your evaporation rate is slow then use a fan loh... cools ur tank + helps u dose more kalk..

You can get big distilled water bottles to top up your tank if you are afraid the water from your tank has impurities... but best is still RO/DI unit bah.. I also don't have one so I just make do with tap water...

You are NOT supposed to mix tank water with Kalkwasser....!! Woah!! You'll affect the chemical composition of saltwater if you do that!!

You'll see your PH & alk go crazy, a snow storm as calcium & alk drops out of solution! Magnesium will also be affected.

Always use kalkwasser with fresh water... you'll add cal and alk in equal amounts.

• SRC Member
huh? don't quite understand what you mean..

but what I do is I i rig up my DIY autotop up to pump water into a kalkreactor and the water from the KR goes into the main tank...

if your evaporation rate is slow then use a fan loh... cools ur tank + helps u dose more kalk..

You can get big distilled water bottles to top up your tank if you are afraid the water from your tank has impurities... but best is still RO/DI unit bah.. I also don't have one so I just make do with tap water...

I dont want to purposely increase the evaporation rate by blowing fans as too high an evaporation rate will cause other imbalance.

I would like to know can kalk be mix with tank water instead of distilled or RO water? Any chemical effect ?

Thanks AT! got the answer liao...............

Eric

Eric, you have no choice. Don't play around with water composition. Kalkwasser is meant to be used with freshwater to add cal & alk into saltwater. That is why its used with freshwater topups... its freshwater! :) You don't top up with saltwater... your salinity will go up and up....

• SRC Member
Eric, you have no choice. Don't play around with water composition. Kalkwasser is meant to be used with freshwater to add cal & alk into saltwater. That is why its used with freshwater topups... its freshwater! :) You don't top up with saltwater... your salinity will go up and up....

I think salinity will not go up if I tee off the tank water from my return pump. But like you say, the kalk reactor will form sand storm before dripping back into the sump. That might affect the water composition.............geez...........is there any other method to increase kh and prevent ph from dropping too much at night?

p/s: I do not have a refugium for reverse photo-period.

Eric