AT's tank... resurrected....

Akirasan,

My wavebox is at the left side of my tank against the back wall. The whole back side is clear all the way back for optimum water flow and I have a Tunze 6080 blasting through down the length of my tank.... my existing PVC rack structure holds up all rock at the back. It's also something something Anthony approves of (FYI, he actually commented that the marine tanks he and the other overseas judge both deducted points for rocks leaning against the glass because in the long term they diminish water flow and cause nutrient buildup over time).

Unfortunately, because the wavebox needs space to work optimally, I can't use up all the space on the left side.

Thanks for the reply AT. In that case, aren't you NOT using the wavebox to its full potential? ie. simply for 'clearing' the crap behind the rocks? Correct me if I'm wrong, or does it move water <i>throughout</i> the tank in spite of being located at the back?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Nope, I think my bottom glass is about 15mm and is tempered, so its extra hard. I doubt if any calcareous liverock would cause so much as a scratch even if dropped from a height underwater.

Hm I thought tempered glass (poorly made ones) have a tendency to spontaneously shatter due to some internal pressures built up...

I know this happened before... esp if the silly contractors anyhow drill holes in the tempered glass...

Tempered glass is made to be much stronger but yes, a very very hard impact on a very very small point will induced the whole piece to shatter into very small round pieces, as opposed to shattering into long shards which is even more dangerous.

No one is supposed to put heavy pressure on a sharp point on any glass surface. 15mm glass is very hard, I believe you can stand in the middle of a 6ft pane and it'll not even bend.

But don't try it at home! ;)

Thanks for the reply AT. In that case, aren't you NOT using the wavebox to its full potential? ie. simply for 'clearing' the crap behind the rocks? Correct me if I'm wrong, or does it move water <i>throughout</i> the tank in spite of being located at the back?

What do you mean by not using to its full potential? :unsure:

My water is already rocking left and right. A wavebox is good for making sure that the whole water column moves in a tank although movement may be max 1cm up and down/left and right at the ends. I have 3 other Tunze streams moving water as well as two return pumps. My fishes can hardly swim at times! :D

• 2 months later...