REsun Chiller

Travy

• SRC Member

Want to clear some doubts for my tank before making some decisions.

Tank: 3X2X2ft

WHich chiller more suitable? CL-280 or CL-300?

And whats the flow rate needed for them to work efficently for my tank size?

Got some info from the website... but not quite sure what is stated.... :nc:

http://www.resun-china.com/anniou/Eng/product_CL.HTM

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

if between the two, CL-300. Otherwise, CL-450.

have a manual here and its says around 1000 l/h.

But the safest is to let us know length of piping, vertical height and no. of elbow used then a better estimate can be made. Also dun know about the number of pump you running(ext/int) and types of light use so worry if the CL-300 can cope or not

• SRC Member

Ok.

Am thinking of MH 150w X 1 And 4 54w T5s

Height would be roughly 1.5m from sump to tank.

Elbows from chiller to tank will prob be not more then 3.

Other pumps would prob include my return, to my skimmer and to my FR...

Correct me if i'm wrong, isnt it better to provide slower then higher recommended flow rate? :huh::nc:

My Tank

Ok.

Correct me if i'm wrong, isnt it better to provide slower then higher recommended flow rate? :huh::nc:

Hi bro , fyi , my tank is 2.5 by 1.5 by 1.5 ft with 2 ft sump and only 4X 24W T5s and the CL280 is working like almost non-stop on my tank...maybe my chiller spoil or what i dont know , abt 10 mths old only...+ this few weeks dry spell...haiz..

for yr case , still got one MH , i think better to use something greater that CL280 , maybe a CL450 would be better?

Other bros out there to share their story of Chiller? :D

I think resun chiller got flow restriction for CL280 cos I tried pump 3000l/h using Aquabee but outflow very small...maybe some bros can correct me ?

best is get a reliable chiller like teco. . pacific coo. .

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member
Ok.

I am cycling my 3 x 2 x 2.5 tank now with 3 pumps and the CL-650 is running hours just to cool to 2 degrees lower and i haven even mount the MH yet. let alone, the freaking hot weather.

bro, I suggest you allocate another buget for a higher model.

You may want to get a Sicce Extrema. Its flow can be adjusted to suit your needs. Even if you decide on the CL-450 or CL-650 eventually or as your next upgrade, its still compatible. There is a review on the CL-650 running with an Extrema in this forum.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25126

• SRC Member

Thx every for sharing yur pointers.

Would loved to get a teco or pacific coo but then again... same old financial liquidity problem.... <_<

For my 3X2X2, i'm actually considering a CL450. My idea is that if it has a bigger horse power (meant for a bigger tank...) then it'll take less time to cool my tank (which is smaller) to the correct temperature. :huh: Dont know if my stand on this is correct.

-Shorter running time = Cooler living room and lower bills...($10 increase a month. Man my dad would loved to hear this... :erm: )

Getting a CL 450 will also allow (HEaven bless) for future upgrade. Maybe to 2xMH or more T5s...

hotlemond,

Thx for the link!

How come yur chiller run so long without a MH??

Could there so something wrong with yur config? Dont scare me leh... parents gonna jump on my back if that happen...

My Tank

• SRC Member

Woah... i realise some guys ah.. although doing NS.... Can afford quite High range stuff wor... :rolleyes::ph34r:

My Tank

Woah... i realise some guys ah.. although doing NS.... Can afford quite High range stuff wor... :rolleyes::ph34r:

i also in NS, that's why i can only afford a 2nd hand NSEW 1/3 hp chiller. If you get a brand new cl450, might as well spend another $200-$300 more and get a 2nd hand RR, teco or pacific coo chiller. it will serve u well in long term. Currently my tank have 1 eheim1260, 1 eheim1250, 1 atman104, 1 resun md55, 2 seio820, 2xt5 lightings, 1 250watt MH and the chiller is working very hard. Therefore u might wanna consider a more powerful chiller when it comes to long term, say u decide to upgrade lightings or something. .

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

Would loved to get a teco or pacific coo but then again... same old financial liquidity problem.... <_<

For my 3X2X2, i'm actually considering a CL450. My idea is that if it has a bigger horse power (meant for a bigger tank...) then it'll take less time to cool my tank (which is smaller) to the correct temperature. :huh: Dont know if my stand on this is correct.

-Shorter running time = Cooler living room and lower bills...($10 increase a month. Man my dad would loved to hear this... :erm: )

Getting a CL 450 will also allow (HEaven bless) for future upgrade. Maybe to 2xMH or more T5s...

hotlemond,

Thx for the link!

Could there so something wrong with yur config? Dont scare me leh... parents gonna jump on my back if that happen...

Hi bro,

If I'm not wrong, CL450 and Cl650 diferent only around $30, so why not consider CL650? The only setback is that CL650 is 650W and ur PUB bill maybe slightly higher every month!!! :D

• SRC Member

Would loved to get a teco or pacific coo but then again... same old financial liquidity problem....  <_<

For my 3X2X2, i'm actually considering a CL450. My idea is that if it has a bigger horse power (meant for a bigger tank...) then it'll take less time to cool my tank (which is smaller) to the correct temperature.  :huh: Dont know if my stand on this is correct.

-Shorter running time = Cooler living room and lower bills...($10 increase a month. Man my dad would loved to hear this...  :erm: )

hotlemond,

Thx for the link!

nothing is wrong with the configuration. The thermostat and temp reading seems fine. In fact last nite I switch it on at 12 midnight with tank temp of 32*C but this morning I woke up its still at 32*C. :pinch: Was trying to cool down to 27.

I think the gas no more liao and needs to top up. felt the fan behind working and blowing. Its a second hand unit of 5 months usage.

anyone face this before? and wat are the causes?

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

If I'm not wrong, CL450 and Cl650 diferent only around $30, so why not consider CL650? The only setback is that CL650 is 650W and ur PUB bill maybe slightly higher every month!!! :D

actually its the cooling power that is 650W, stated behind the chiller. actual power consumption is less than half.

i have one unit running temporarily for my 5ftx2.5x2.5 b4 i get my new chiller. 400w lights 350W of pump. can bring down and maintain temp at 26.1.

:)

• SRC Member

im using cl450 for my 3x2x2ft tank with 6x39watts t5s... working well so far...but right now imcosidering to upgrade mylights to 250w mh plus additional t5s...dunno whether my chiller can take it or not..

• SRC Member

Hey Guys thx alot for the reviews!

Lets shift our topic to power consumption now.

Which model/brand is the most cost effective in terms of relative tank size, heat producing equiptments (eg. lights pumps... u name it.) Cheers bros/sis.

My Tank

• SRC Member

i guess heat generation and noise of fan are some other important factors to consider. You don't want your room to get heated up. <_<

some chiller also quite noisy too :(

• SRC Member
Hey Guys thx alot for the reviews!

Lets shift our topic to power consumption now.

Which model/brand is the most cost effective in terms of relative tank size, heat producing equiptments (eg. lights pumps... u name it.) Cheers bros/sis.

its really hard to tell bro.

types of pumps & placement, types of lights & placement, even room ambient temperature can determined how many times the chiller will kick in.

Nowadys with the supre duper hot spell weather I am sure many fellow reefers with chiller are not looking forward to thier forth-coming PUB bill :D