Putting my sailfin into main tank

• SRC Member

My sailfin tang is already one month into treatment... and I think it is high time it should go back into the main tank...

Question is.. should I or should I not put him back in the main tank for fear of possible ich minions left in the tank... Why am I asking? Simply because in a normal fallow treatment, it will take 8 weeks if the tank parameters are left unaltered. I started leaving my tank fallow on 12 Apr...

In my situation, I used a combination of the following methods and was wondering if it would lessen the fallow period.... should I take the risk I wonder... or just patiently wait another month... patience... patience... sigh...

1) After all my fishes died in the main tank (except the sailfin), I did an 80% total change of the water in my tank (this is done by siphoning the sandbed)

2) I replace the tank with water and kept it at a hypostate of 1.008. It was a risk I have to take with the liverocks inside... many bristleworms, aptasia and stuff died off during this time. Tank was left at this state for first week.

3) Did a rescaping and change another 80% water (through siphoning the bottom too) with hyposalinity raised back to 1.023. Over the next three weeks, I dose calcium, reef plus, trace to boost coralline growth (which the rocks are fast turning red). I have also dose some bacteria booster to aid the Nitrogen cycle. Tank now measures safe parameters of 0 (ammonia), 0 (nitrite) and 3.0 (nitrate).

4) Today just change rowaphos and UV bulb....

On top of this, I left the chiller off during this whole 4 weeks.... essentially, this is a half fallow, half hypo technique...

Tempted to put the sailfin back leh..... :lol: What do you guys think?

• SRC Member
You should leave your main tank fishless for at least 8 weeks. Because the ich is at the dormant stage and will not be affect by all those "extra" stuffs you're doing.

Patience Patience and your effort will pay off well :P

ARRGGGHHHH... Wait ah wait ah wait... :lol::D

I must be patient.. I must be patient... :lol::D

My hands itchy leh... but otherwise my efforts will be wasted... thanks bro weileong for waking me up... I will wait for four more weeks... hehehe... at least with the UV bulb replaced, it should maximise the killing effect for free floating iches...

I will release the fishes into the tank as "symbolic event" one week before I start work at my new place on 27 June... So timely :lol:

Bro hotlemond, anyway, I think I will not use the water from the main tank or otherwise I risk infecting my sailfin again... but I agree that I should take the next four weeks to reduce the copper in the tank for the sailfin... doing a 30% water change every week using newly mixed salt water... ;)

• SRC Member
Or you can put in carbon to absorb the copper too.

Good idea.... :lol:

Decision will lies on whether salt or carbon more expensive.. ahahaa

I have two tubs of rowacarbon and one half-tub of 200 gallon Oceanic salt... both like expensive leh... hahahah...

maybe I will just get some seachem matrix carbon.. .otherwise I will suffer "heartache" and pocket burns... :lol: