Is CyanoBateria a sign for light bulb replacement

• SRC Member

Hi Reefers...

Guess this is a pretty hot topic for discussion.

I have been having this Red Slim Algae (CyanoBateria) problem for ths last few weeks. So....I introduce Rowa and have make frequent water change. :P

Apparantly both PO4 and NO3 are within control and I can see improvement on eliminating those long green hairy algae....they just disappear.....however the Cyano still remains and growing fast each day...... <_<

So....I got a sucker to suck out all the Cyano.....uses a toothbrush to brush off those that are growing on the Live rock....yet in vain. I can still see sign of these irritation Cyano growing back. Well I admit I am adding "aged" tap water top up (with only de-chlorine) to my tank but the Green Hairy Algae is under control. :paiseh:

Then I thought maybe I introduce another Skimmer (AS150) on top of my current Macro AS200 to the system....sigh!....same same :angry: @^#%$&@#$^*

Then I think again.....maybe the flow in that particular area is too low so was then trying to source for a Tunze 6060.....then I saw this article.... :blink:

An extract from http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/microalgae/a/aa092800.htm

What Makes Slime Algae Grow and Solutions For Eliminating This Problem

We suggest that you don't try to put all of these solutions into action at one time, because if you do, when to problem subsides you'll never really know "exactly" where the problem was coming from and which solution worked to fix it. Start with one solution and see what results you get, and if that one doesn't work, try another one, and so on, until the problem is resolved. Now, i n order for all forms of algae to grow, they require only two things; light and nutrients.

Lighting: The use of improper bulbs, lack of maintenance, and extended lighting hours are contributors that can lead to all sorts of algae problems. While these organisms do well in the 665 to 680 nanometer (nm) wavelength range, they are quite active bewteen the 560 and 620 nm range as well.

Solutions: Only use bulbs that are designed for aquarium use, run the lights 8 to 9 hours a day, and following the basic wattage rule of thumb, try different types of bulbs to increase the intensity and the spectral qualities of the light in the aquarium, particularly when it comes to any type of full-spectrum or color enhancing tubes being used.

Hmmm....now I suspect that I have not replace my MH Bulb for quite a while.....probably >1year liao...... <_<

Last resort before I change the MH Light Bulb (currently using 20kk, 150w)....I will go get a Cyano Remover to prove that this is true.... :P

• SRC Member
congrat bro.. u got the award of red carpet... :D

bro.. nvm call me up to ask...

u should know the kind of info u going to get....

we have already awards one red carpet Kind in SRC and zeovit already.....

hahaha......thats very sceptical of you......anyway thats the thing.....I dont want to go into Zeovit.....no time to dose this and that lor.....wish to keep it as simple as possible......

Been travelling so intensively that I have been neglecting my reef tank......until I see also buay ta han liao!!! %$!@&^#%*&@!# <_<

• SRC Member

hahaha......thats very sceptical of you......anyway thats the thing.....I dont want to go into Zeovit.....no time to dose this and that lor.....wish to keep it as simple as possible......

Been travelling so intensively that I have been neglecting my reef tank......until I see also buay ta han liao!!! %$!@&^#%*&@!# <_<

lolz.. me not asking u to go zeovit... red carpet got nothing to do with zeovit....

when u free call me up and i can check with u more info and tell u what to do...:D

• SRC Member

Actually I do have similar experience, used to have red slim problem when using a pretty old 10000K 150MH. Recently changed to a BLV 20000K bulb, the problem is more under control now.

• SRC Member
Actually I do have similar experience, used to have red slim problem when using a pretty old 10000K 150MH. Recently changed to a BLV 20000K bulb, the problem is more under control now.

which mean still the same lor.. still suffering from cyano wa...

just that u give it lesser light to slow the growth.. and lesser light for you coral also lor.. :D

• SRC Member
Wow united airlines red carpet club needs either US$500 to join but now pple quality FOC wow..... congrats.

:lol::lol::lol: ...hahahaha.........Probably Ah Gu Gold KrisFlyer member liao la......hahahahaha

• SRC Member

which mean still the same lor.. still suffering from cyano wa...

just that u give it lesser light to slow the growth.. and lesser light for you coral also lor.. :D

Hmmm, never thought about it this way... You may be right.

No wonder I also feel that 20000K is dimmer than 10000K.

• SRC Member

Hmmm, never thought about it this way... You may be right.

No wonder I also feel that 20000K is dimmer than 10000K.

haiya, you can tell the different straight away one ma....

20kk so dim...

only for display.... maybe can consider hang a puzzle that glow one and use 20kk to shine and u can see the glow effect... :D

• SRC Member
anyway kschew, like i told me.. u have to provide me all the needed info me i can teach u....

and help u remove from red carpet club.....

hahahaha....ok ok....I will MSN you when I get home this evening......

Thanks buddy! ;)

• SRC Member

hahahaha....ok ok....I will MSN you when I get home this evening......

Thanks buddy! ;)

u should know better.. who to ask whenever your tank got problem...

:off:

unless u want to take the advise from those

"got money change color sps and throw brown sps away" and "grap any corals they can hold on to and keep throwing ugly or dead coral away" method ppls..

or

the "act expert but grass brain" and go for branded equipment...

or

the "Powerful speaker and act expert in src yet can dose flat worm exist till half tank sps up lorry"

:off:

:D

• SRC Member
u should know better.. who to ask whenever your tank got problem...

unless u want to take the advise from those

"got money change color sps and throw brown sps away" and "grap any corals they can hold on to and keep throwing ugly or dead coral away" method ppls..

or

the "act expert but grass brain" and go for branded equipment...

or

the "Powerful speaker and act expert  in src yet can dose flat worm exist till half tank sps up lorry"

:D

Hello Alan,

From your above post, I can sense that you obviously have strong opinions regarding

some reefers in SRC. I guess everyone has a right to an opinion and you certainly

have a right to yours. I'll respect that.

I just thought that perhaps it might promote better harmony if your comments were

to be toned down a little. Like most reefers, we just want to enjoy our hobby and

be happy with our reefs.

Hope you don't mind that I'm somewhat a little concerned about the after-effects of

those comments.

Just my opinion and I hope you know that I meant well.

Cheers and happy reefing.

:bow:

• SRC Member

:peace::peace:

Ya lor.....Alan relax la......what did you eat just now??..........some things we just have to keep to yourself even though you know they exist..........

Now you just end my thread..... <_<

Cool manz......... ;)

• SRC Member

hahaha.... sorry la...

me just spelling out the truth...

anyway happy reefing....

me now every night will be busy praying to my new fish......

Alan, please refrain from passing :off: comments, regardless of whether you feel it is the truth or not. This is not the first time you have done this. Please have the decency to show some respect to the forum and fellow reefers here in SRC.

Thank you.

SRC Moderators

• SRC Member
Alan just got a killer look AT lol...... carefully with the feeding hor else brown SPS + red carpet club (entrance fees USD$500 waived). Don't wanna see you get admitted there.

no la.. i dont have control over my skimmer dwell time and I dont have a return rate of 3000l/h per hour....

or... so many tunze pointing inside my tank with huge main tanke turn over rate... :D

• SRC Member

no la.. i dont have control over my skimmer dwell time and I dont have a return rate of 3000l/h per hour....

or... so many tune pointing inside my tank with huge main tanke turn over rate... :D

Wah!....AT leh.....mia siao siao.......my last most expensive was a Chevron......sigh.....only last 2 weeks +.....thought it was eating liao.....then...... :cry:

Alan.....you were right.....even when it is eating doesnt guarantee the survival.......

All the best to your AT!........ :P

• SRC Member

Wah!....AT leh.....mia siao siao.......my last most expensive was a Chevron......sigh.....only last 2 weeks +.....thought it was eating liao.....then...... :cry:

Alan.....you were right.....even when it is eating doesnt guarantee the survival.......

All the best to your AT!........ :P

thanx.. I got 2 AT expert help me choose and put into my tank...

so the AT is been blessed one.. :D

• SRC Member

hahahaha.....really ah......but I taoism leh......need Tua Pei Kong to bless mine also.....wahahahah :lol::lol:

• SRC Member
kschew,

tried reading the article u posted and it mentioned that activated carbon adds po4 into the water??? Is that true?! Or did I read wrongly?? Anyone can confirm?

I believe its does.....probably those cheap and poor quality type......Shit!.....thanks for the reminder.....my carbon have been in my sump for quite some time......better take it out this evening......