brittle worms control

• SRC Member

i have tons of brittle worms in my tank.. tons and tons... all hide in bio-ball , and i have just witness brittle worm spawn in my main tank!! tiny green eggs and thousands of them!! i going nuts! help! pls! help! me!! :pinch:

• SRC Member
btw.. can somebody explain how does brittle worms damage reefs?

Large bristleworms are known to be able to grab some "smaller fishes" like gobies... though I have yet to see it or witness it myself...

To some, bristleworms look "yucky" so they just want it out of the system....

There's another school of thought, bristleworms CAN be beneficial to your tank, they eat detritus and help turn the sand in your sandbed...

Personally, I remove them.... ;)

• SRC Member
Read before that coral band shrimp is their natural predator and useful to keep their population under control.

Yeah, coral band shrimps can turn ugly and whack gobies too.... though the chances of these happening is very low :lol:

Gobies are "weaklings" of the sea... :lol::D

• SRC Member
The hole for the trap is quite small, doubt your goby can get inside :P

a bit too late... woke up y'day and found my griessingeri dead... thanks to the 2 bristleworms that I spotted!! :cry2:

Is it possible that my choco chip starfish can consume the body of the griessingeri? I found him at the spot where I found the body of my griessingeri when I came home in the afternoon.... and he stayed there all the way until this morning!

• SRC Member

a bit too late... woke up y'day and found my griessingeri dead... thanks to the 2 bristleworms that I spotted!! :cry2:

Is it possible that my choco chip starfish can consume the body of the griessingeri? I found him at the spot where I found the body of my griessingeri when I came home in the afternoon.... and he stayed there all the way until this morning!

i dun think the bristleworm will kill ur griess.

i have a couple of large size bristleworms in my griess tank and even spotted one of my griess side by side with a fireworm, and yet, they are still living together peacefully.

instead of blaming the worms, did u get your husbandry for this fish correct?

;)

and yes, your starfish will consume the body of any dead fish.

• SRC Member

Wow, first reported case of griessingeri death........

Condolences....

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

i dun think the bristleworm will kill ur griess.

i have a couple of large size bristleworms in my griess tank and even spotted one of my griess side by side with a fireworm, and yet, they are still living together peacefully.

instead of blaming the worms, did u get your husbandry for this fish correct?

;)

and yes, your starfish will consume the body of any dead fish.

hmm... what else could have killed the griessingeri then? mine is an established 2ft tank (running for 1.5 yrs oredi), just recently converted from eel to goby tank. i found him upside down 2 mornings ago.

perhaps you can enlighten me what other possibilities? and perhaps share what husbandry you carry out?

• SRC Member

I dun think i'm qualified enough to 'enlighten' you on the exact husbandry of the griess.

but according to my observations from watching them for countless hours...

they are too fast and agile to be captured by other predators(read bristleworm,fireworm,crabs,hermits etc). Urs probably died because you chose a sick one. otherwise, they are one of the hardiest fish i've ever had.

you will need to supply them with a constant supply of copepods if you decide to buy another griess. your lights should also be moderate as they are relatively shy towards strong lightings.

;)

• SRC Member
I dun think i'm qualified enough to 'enlighten' you on the exact husbandry of the griess.

but according to my observations from watching them for countless hours...

they are too fast and agile to be captured by other predators(read bristleworm,fireworm,crabs,hermits etc). Urs probably died because you chose a sick one. otherwise, they are one of the hardiest fish i've ever had.

you will need to supply them with a constant supply of copepods if you decide to buy another griess. your lights should also be moderate as they are relatively shy towards strong lightings.

;)

hmm... sick ah?? how to tell?? he wasn't really moving around much in the tank... is that an indication? i was also told that they are hardy and fast so i was also surprised to find him dead in the morning. the other goby in my tank is still alive though.

i'm using normal tank lights for that tank so dun think its very strong....