Heat Wave hits tank!

RAV-65

my condolences marineman... heart pain for u also...

arghhhhhh... today got a replacement chiller(same model) whilst the old one send for repair. fix it up LPPL... still cannot cool... change to a 2500l pump still LPPL..

wanna get the daeil 1/2 horse but cant convince dad to put a "aircon compressor" in the living room... he keep saying spoil the asthetic of the house..

im very puzzled how come last time 4ft tank with 2 x 150w able to cool down,

now 3ft tank + sump even without lights and all pumps off also cant cool down. if i off return pump it will be able to cool down the water in the sump very quickly but once the return pump is on, its unable to... wat could be wrong??

hot spell....... ambient temp is high........ 1 of the likely reasons.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wa lanz,

izit becoz the exchange rate between the main tank and sump too slow??? and when the lights in the main is super hot, the main tank water heats up faster than ur sump water is chilled and transferred to the main tank?

Juz a thought... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

don think too slow coz using ehiem 1262... unless still not enuff...

prob is even with all lights and all pumps off still cant cool down.. don think a chiller can lousy until even with no heat source also cant cool down right??

anyway things definitely not going right for me this year... chiller issue, ionic imbalance(negligence on my part) but coming home to a house full of water today coz hose just decided to come off the pump after so many months... :shock: , really feel like closing down the tank and forget everything... im a slave to my tank :( cant even slp in peace fearing whole house flooded....

nv mention the summons, tyre puncture, paint spill on road that got on car, so many near accidents cause by other drivers.. 1 week over sick(headache, diarrhea, cough, flu, fever, phlegms, all come together)

many many other suay things...

why is it that all the suay things all come together.... haiz.. :erm: must go pai sin liaoz..

sorry :off: but dunno wat to do but try to unwind here....

don think too slow coz using ehiem 1262... unless still not enuff...

prob is even with all lights and all pumps off still cant cool down.. don think a chiller can lousy until even with no heat source also cant cool down right??

anyway things definitely not going right for me this year... chiller issue, ionic imbalance(negligence on my part) but coming home to a house full of water today coz hose just decided to come off the pump after so many months... :shock: , really feel like closing down the tank and forget everything... im a slave to my tank :( cant even slp in peace fearing whole house flooded....

nv mention the summons, tyre puncture, paint spill on road that got on car, so many near accidents cause by other drivers.. 1 week over sick(headache, diarrhea, cough, flu, fever, phlegms, all come together)

many many other suay things...

why is it that all the suay things all come together.... haiz.. :erm: must go pai sin liaoz..

sorry :off: but dunno wat to do but try to unwind here....

Woa bro , seems like yr situation more jialat then me? I always thought travelling in car more safe than like me on a bike .

Think u can get the unit that detect water spill on floor the one RAV-65 mentioned earlier on... so u can have some peace of mind..

:huh:

• SRC Member

safe meh? if suay also nothing u can do..

last week one idiotic lorry suddenly swerve into my lane. Ebrake and skid all the way to his backside. heng nv hit.

then tyre puncture(tyre just decided to burst open) after a LFS visit last sat.

2 nights ago, one idiotic lady driver turn out into main road i was on and again ebrake and just stop in time in front of the passenger seat where her 2-3 yrs old child was in.. cant imagine if i was day dreaming and crash head on into her son.. :nuke:

yesterday, ebrake again nearly rear end someone who ebrake also(my fault, day dreaming)

just few hours ago, bloody idiot taxi signal right but swerve left into my lane, heng blasted my horn and managed to avoid accident...

wonder whether tom will kena crash into by trailer anotz.. :ph34r: bye bye cruel world..

• SRC Member

:off: talk about suay... I'm now stuck at changi airport coz my stupid plane had some mechanical problems at the last minute... so now been stuck here since midnight, going into the 3hrs of delay liao...

donno what's wrong with the plane also... feel a little insecure even if they say they managed to fix the problem...

SIGH...

1. Try to change the placement of the chiller .. more toward the windows or windy area. Don't ever place the chiller in the cabinet unless you hv good airflow.

2. Increase the water flowrate. 1200l/p is not enought. Best ~ 2000l/p

3. If possible, place the return water from the chiller back to the tank.

I'm running a CL-300 on 300L tank with 250W MH + 2 T5 it still can cool it down to 27'c

• SRC Member

chiller was place in a open ventilated area, even changed a replacement chiller also the same,

changed to a 2500l pump also the same, cant cool

anyway, prob solved, got a new chiller :) hopefully with this will all the bad luck go away as well..

thanks for all the advices from so many bros out there... :bow:

chiller was place in a open ventilated area, even changed a replacement chiller also the same,

changed to a 2500l pump also the same, cant cool

anyway, prob solved, got a new chiller :) hopefully with this will all the bad luck go away as well..

thanks for all the advices from so many bros out there... :bow:

Bro, heard you bought a Daeil... good chiller! :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

yup... very satisfied with the performance.. but pocket very big hole... more than my one month pay.. <_< but this type of things cannot save 1... glad i got it rather than headache over how come cant cool down.. much quieter than my previous some more..

• SRC Member
yup... very satisfied with the performance.. but pocket very big hole... more than my one month pay.. <_< but this type of things cannot save 1... glad i got it rather than headache over how come cant cool down.. much quieter than my previous some more..

Congrats bro. Good choice! Now can sleep better right?? :lol:

RAV, I heard you are going the same direction also??? :P

• SRC Member

yup... don have to keep worrying about wats wrong and also whether new chiller can cool anotz.. past few days was hell for my corals.. temp swing from 27 to 31 for few days, some days no light and today suddenly temp drop to 26.7 .... heng no casualties....

wah rav, changing chiller again??

Scarab & Wa Lanz: Yeah! Will be collecting my chiller tomolo! This would be my 4th chiller in 2+ months... not dat my current Teco is not good enough, but decided to go for something which will chill the water faster to save electricity! :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Here's something interesting to report :

Ever since my heat wave in the tank episode... My ABT and Kole Tang which was suffering from a slight ich infestation has recovered! the two fishes are now healthy and not ich can be found! :P

It has been proven that ich cannot survive at temperatures of 33C, but I didn't expect the 2 hours where my tank temp rose to 33C had such a killing effect on the ich...

Hopefully the ich dun break out again... :P

Disclaimer : The above experience shared is for your reading pleasure only... Do not attempt to raise ur tank's temperature deliberately if you have an ich problem. :lol:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Here's something interesting to report :

Ever since my heat wave in the tank episode... My ABT and Kole Tang which was suffering from a slight ich infestation has recovered! the two fishes are now healthy and not ich can be found! :P

It has been proven that ich cannot survive at temperatures of 33C, but I didn't expect the 2 hours where my tank temp rose to 33C had such a killing effect on the ich...

Hopefully the ich dun break out again... :P

Disclaimer : The above experience shared is for your reading pleasure only... Do not attempt to raise ur tank's temperature deliberately if you have an ich problem. :lol:

Sounds good... during this period when I left my main tank fallow for 2 months(only have liverocks) to combat ich.... I switched off my chiller too....

Temperature in tank registers the highest at 34 today!!!! So die, ich, die!!!!

But i heard too high a temperature can be bad for the coralline algae on your live rocks too...

Can someone verify this?

• SRC Member
Got no idea about the coraline algae bro.,.. cant help ya... :P but i tink the ich should be gone liao... since no chiller... :P

Dun be too sure about it......

What I understand is that high temperature only SPEED UP the life cycle of the ich... that's why you probably see them (in trophont stage) exiting from the fish body... but that doesn't mean they have died... read the article and you know what I mean... as long as there is a fish host present, you get another wave comin... bottom line, practise quarantine (like what I am starting now) for all new entries of fishes...

Here's an extract of an article on the life cycle of ich... scary...

Biology:

The lifecycle of the parasite is interesting and important to understand when evaluating a treatment. The stage where the parasite is attached to a fish is called a trophont. The trophont will spend three to seven days (depending on temperature) feeding on the fish. After that, the trophont leaves the fish and becomes what is called a protomont.

This protomont travels to the substrate and begins to crawl around for usually two to eight hours, but it could go for as long as eighteen hours after it leaves it's fish host. Once the protomont attaches to a surface, it begins to encyst and is now called a tomont.

Division inside the cyst into hundreds of daughter parasites, called tomites, begins shortly thereafter. This noninfectious stage can last anywhere from three to twenty-eight days. During this extended period, the parasite cyst is lying in wait for a host. After this period, the tomites hatch and begin swimming around, looking for a fish host. At this point, they are called theronts, and they must find a host within twenty-four hours or die. They prefer to seek out the skin and gill tissue, then transform into trophonts, and begin the process all over again.

Many hobbyists are fooled into believing they have cured their fish of the parasites, only to find Ich present again on fish a few weeks later; a reason why following through with a full treatment protocol is so important. Don't make this mistake and be lulled into a false sense of security. The parasites may be in a stage where they are merely regrouping and multiplying for their "next offensive." In the wild, this sort of massive reproductive phase ensures that a few will find a suitable host to continue on the cycle. In the close confines of our aquariums, though, it means comparatively massive infection rates.

Dun be too sure about it......

What I understand is that high temperature only SPEED UP the life cycle of the ich... that's why you probably see them (in trophont stage) exiting from the fish body... but that doesn't mean they have died... read the article and you know what I mean... as long as there is a fish host present, you get another wave comin... bottom line, practise quarantine (like what I am starting now) for all new entries of fishes...

Here's an extract of an article on the life cycle of ich... scary...

Bro, not true lah, the article doesn't say much about ich being able to survive in high temperatures... but from wat I know, they cant survive at temp of 33C... :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg