Sky High Nitrites 5 - Help

• SRC Member

What do you have in your tank?

Maybe something died.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

By the way how big is yr tank. If itsa big one (say 4or 5 footer) then a dead clown shdnt cos so much prob. Still its best to detect the root of the prob, ie, identify and remove the decaying matter even if it means moving yr lr ard a bit. After that best to do mega water chg . Once I had an anemone dead deep inside the live rocks. Did a major search. Sucked out the decaying stuff & then did a 50% chg in water. Everything else survived luckily after thta.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

At this point of time, water changes up to 50% may be required to reduce your nitrites to lower levels. While you are at it, test for ammonia and nitrates... to see if the dieoff/death of your fish is causing a spike and to see how long it takes for your biological system to bring it down.

Perhaps you can describe your setup to us... if you are using just a OHF, a wet/dry or canister, you will have great difficulty getting your nitrates down unless you are willing to invest in lots of LR or have a DSB setup.

• SRC Member

Reminds me of PJWhizzkid.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

At this point of time, water changes up to 50% may be required to reduce your nitrites to lower levels. While you are at it, test for ammonia and nitrates... to see if the dieoff/death of your fish is causing a spike and to see how long it takes for your biological system to bring it down.

Perhaps you can describe your setup to us... if you are using just a OHF, a wet/dry or canister, you will have great difficulty getting your nitrates down unless you are willing to invest in lots of LR or have a DSB setup.

How about get some nitrires reducer ...does it help????

• SRC Member

There's no need for nitrite reducer for marine tanks. If proberly cycled. A nitrite spike shouldn't last more than a day before the bacteria catches up. The lack of nitrate is highly suspicious. I don't think the tank is cycled completely.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
ok its a 3 feet tank with caniister filter and nitrates is 0. ammonia almost 0. my nitrites is sky high. thanks for the advice, will do a 50 percent change. so livestock looks fine

ok.. so how old is ur tank setup?r u in still in the cycling stage?

It was cycled for 3 weeks with LR only. I think you're right maybe it hasn't fully cycled.:( Before I put the fish in I measured ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. Also my skimmer hasn't been working until yesterday when I raised it. The prism skimmer is really stupid. You have to get the water level just a fraction above the inlet basket otherwise all you get is saltwater. After raising it yesterday, now I getdirty brown stuff. I had to use makeshift wine bottle corks to raise it...its really stpid!!! I also did a 20% water change....(sorry AT i know 50%, but I ran out of salt:(....Arghhh, bad karma!!

• SRC Member
It was cycled for 3 weeks with LR only. I think you're right maybe it hasn't fully cycled.:( Before I put the fish in I measured ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. Also my skimmer hasn't been working until yesterday when I raised it. The prism skimmer is really stupid. You have to get the water level just a fraction above the inlet basket otherwise all you get is saltwater. After raising it yesterday, now I getdirty brown stuff. I had to use makeshift wine bottle corks to raise it...its really stpid!!! I also did a 20% water change....(sorry AT i know 50%, but I ran out of salt:(....Arghhh, bad karma!!

The Prizm has a knob to adjust the flow of water, so I don't understand your original problem - do you have a picture of your setup?

well if you place the skimmer on the back of your aquarium you will find that the basket will lie 2 inches below water level, then you will be 'wet skimming', in other words doing nothing and wasting electricity. so you have to raise it artificiallywith a wooden block so it starts to dry skim and goes brown skimmage. So I feel its a design flaw. You can increase and decrease flow but you will still be wet skimming and getting saltwater instead of brown stuff. BTW my nitrites are still sky high despite my change of water. And the reason why I have no more salt is because I used it up, not because i'm scrimping. I have 1 casualty due to high nitrites, one of my $1 clown fish bit the dust:(.

• SRC Member

I am using Prism Skimmer for a period of time till now, no sign of problem since setup! It is like a "Plug-and-Play" skimmer that you don't even have to bother about the air supply!

All you need to do is to adjust the waterflow to obtain a good skim of the water...

after 50% water change nitrite is still sky high, and nitrate is 0. Ammonia is 0, 2. I've decided to let the tank cycle and not interfere. Hopefully the lifestock can survive. I have a blue tang, psudochromis, 3 ocellaris clown, 1 tomato clown, 1 blue tang, 2 anemone, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp. hmmm ...maybe i need more bioballs? i put 10 in my canister filter. I'm also vacuuming my coral sand for loose detritus, as part of my water change, quite handy and I recomend it.