Flowrate for my DIY overflow

jackalcleo

Have just completed my DIY overflow using siphone method and of 25mm PVC.

However it cannot cope with my pump which is rated around 5000L/hr to have a high turnover of water. The main tank water keep rising and sump level keep dropping.

So is there calculation for flowrate on 25mm PVC? What size should i use then?

how far away is ur return from ur main tank in terms of height? IMHO, 5000L/hr (note: head loss not factored in) is too much for a 1" overflow piping to handle.

i use 2x 1.25" piping to handle my return of 6500L/hr. (note: head loss not factored in)

here is something to help u along.

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

That means i got to add another drain pipe to sump?

use the URL that i hv mentioned and judge for urself. IMHO, most likely u will need to either add another overflow pipe or u will need to change the diameter of ur current overflow pipe to a larger one.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

I would suggest using a T-joint between return pump to main tank. The T-joint would flow back into the sump filter media column. Use a check valve to control the amount of water flowing back into the sump. I have used this method although I have not tested it yet, my sump is still in the last stages of completion.

Just a suggestion, but I think it would work.

I would suggest using a T-joint between return pump to main tank. The T-joint would flow back into the sump filter media column. Use a check valve to control the amount of water flowing back into the sump. I have used this method although I have not tested it yet, my sump is still in the last stages of completion.

Just a suggestion, but I think it would work.

Can i just use a ball valve to regulate the flow back to main tank on the return line??? Just need to know what's the reason of Tee to one of the sump compartment. If i just use a ball valve i have less item to assemble (T-joint,piping hose) :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
hi jack, try not to use a ball valve after the output of yr pump. It will cause stress to yr pump as it is creating a pressure. Try to tee off the return instead. :D

From what I personally think, using both T-joint and ball valve would be the best option. There would be no stress as the water would be directed away with the T-joint.

(ball valve)

||

||

(T-joint)=================

||

||

||

(return)

hope you understand my simple diagram.

:ph34r: