is this a parasite?

What coral is that? Looks like a bubble coral to me. Can't really ID it.

Is that stuff on the inside flesh or the outside skeleton?

Looks like some bleached algae runners to me...

How long have you had your coral and what kind of tank setup do you have?

Inclusive water parameters...

• SRC Member

Looks like harmless sponge or foramniferan. I'll go with sponge.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Could be algae too, but whatever it is, I don't think it killed the coral.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Actually, I'm not sure what kind of coral it is. We got it as a live rock when starting the aquarium. Then, "flesh" started growing out of it. I think it is an open brain coral. It seems to be blooming well with the flesh for around 8 weeks but later started to "retract". I'll try to dig for photos at the beginning and will post a picture of it's state now when I return to work on Monday.

Thanks guys for your valuable input. :(

• SRC Member
Actually, I'm not sure what kind of coral it is. We got it as a live rock when starting the aquarium. Then, "flesh" started growing out of it. I think it is an open brain coral. It seems to be blooming well with the flesh for around 8 weeks but later started to "retract". I'll try to dig for photos at the beginning and will post a picture of it's state now when I return to work on Monday.

Thanks guys for your valuable input. :(

Well, it could be a candy cane... they are able to develop the way you mentioned... my did.... I got a piece previously with the lower parts as skeletons and somehow, over time, flesh developed on them.....

Hi HQ,

ReefWorld usually brings in quite a lot of candy canes...I think quite cheap also.....and the price is universal (big or small = same price).

But these few days I think mostly n soft corals....call them first loh...so u wun make a wasted trip down :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now