"corals shouldn't be in homes "

ah_d3x

• SRC Member

yes i saw it , i think its kinda of true what the lady is saying.

Should get agricultured ones instead

SBS_Transit

Haven't seem it yet. When is it aired?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

u mean aquacultured :D:D

.... i dont want to replace my sps with lettuces and cabbages and carrots ;);)

oops :paiseh: din know.

i think its showing on either ch 10, 11 or 12 scv ,time to time. just happen to watch it.

SBS_Transit

What's there to comment?

It's like telling birdkeepers that birds are meant to fly free. Or fishes are meant to swim in the wild. Or we shouldn't fish for sport.

Unless there is hard evidence that reefkeeping is responsible for destroying reefs as fast as mother nature, global warming, pollution, commercial activities, illegal fishing like dynamite fishing or cyanide usage, land reclamation, shipping activities etc... there is nothing to say except that she's probably just reading a script without understanding the full facts behind that statement.

Perhaps she's telling indiscriminate beachwaders not to pick corals and put them at home if they don't invest time, effort, money and equipment like us serious reefers? ;)

• SRC Supporter
What's there to comment?

It's like telling birdkeepers that birds are meant to fly free. Or fishes are meant to swim in the wild. Or we shouldn't fish for sport.

Unless there is hard evidence that reefkeeping is responsible for destroying reefs as fast as mother nature, global warming, pollution, commercial activities, illegal fishing like dynamite fishing or cyanide usage, land reclamation, shipping activities etc... there is nothing to say except that she's probably just reading a script without understanding the full facts behind that statement.

Perhaps she's telling indiscriminate beachwaders not to pick corals and put them at home if they don't invest time, effort, money and equipment like us serious reefers? ;)

agree...

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

hmm this is tricky. pandas and tigers also die due to ecological reasons/ diseases/starvation, mother nature induced habitat destruction, etc too. but that does not give us the excuse to go out and hunt them for profit or sport.

the vast majority of coral harvesting is for profit anyway, the harvesters do not care if you have the means or know-hows of sustaining the corals. and i get a feeling the vast majority of corals end up in hands of reefers who r sadly less than commited to sustaining the corals, unlike the serious reefers in this forum.

don't flame me!! :fear: there are of cos pros to this hobby in regards to the environment. but since they r easily already available, i just felt the need to give an alternate viewpoint.

Darren,

There's nothing to hide from others, really.

I think Agent Smith from the Matrix summed it up best by describing humanity as a virus.

Mankind has dominated and ruined the earth the moment he was placed here. We do what amuses us. We can burn down hundreds of hectres of rainforest to build golf courses. Dredge or fill up estuaries so as to build marinas or extend the land into the sea.

Anything that can be abused will be abused. That's why CITES helps regulate our activities to prevent over-exploitation.

• SRC Member

I agree that wild life whether land or sea belongs to nature.Thats why it is up to LFS and responsible reefers to ensure that we keep only those livestock that are bred and cultured in captivity.If they say corals are only meant for oceans then I say we shouldn't have a zoo.