WeiPro 4ft MH cracking sound

jowy_ham

Hi all bro(s) & sis(s),

My 4ft MH light has this cracking sound ( sounds like metal striking against metal ) but still can light up both 150W MH. It is just that the cracking sound is quite loud and is driving me crazy. :angry:

I have then open up the casing and see, nothing is broken or loose. :nc:

I called up P*tM**t and the person say it could be the transformer that is faulty. Went to another electrical shop to seek 2nd opinion and the shop assistant say it could be the ballast. :(

May I know what went wrong ?

If it is really the transformer, how much does it cost to repair ?

If it is the ballast, how much to replace one ? and where to get ?

Sorry for all the questions, cos I'm not a elect guy.

• SRC Member

shoud be your transformer (ballast). If your ballast is properly secure to the casing and humming' for a v.long duration or as long as operates- then it requires replacement soon..

however it could be the quality of your ballast too. just my opinion

• SRC Member

Those china MH fixture with their Low-grade transformers (ballast) are notorious for humming esp if they're heavily loaded. however, MH bulbs which near their end-live 'may' produce humming noise too(not too sure, but i believe so). Normally, these type of ballast will produce humming noise for a short duration upon operation.

Thus, you can open up your casing.. operate it and try to trace the source of the noise (for safety reason, don't touch your casing when u do this).

shoud be your transformer (ballast). If your ballast is properly secure to the casing and humming' for a v.long duration or as long as operates- then it requires replacement soon..

however it could be the quality of your ballast too. just my opinion

Those china MH fixture with their Low-grade transformers (ballast) are notorious for humming esp if they're heavily loaded. however, MH bulbs which near their end-live 'may' produce humming noise too(not too sure, but i believe so). Normally, these type of ballast will produce humming noise for a short duration upon operation.

Thus, you can open up your casing.. operate it and try to trace the source of the noise (for safety reason, don't touch your casing when u do this).

Not humming sound. it is cranking sound, sounds like taking a ten cent coin and hitting it against the casing ( also metal )