Water Top Up

• SRC Member

I was looking at my tubby top up and reservoir at a time when I was dosing additives...

My plan was to change water for the tank on a monthly schedule...

Then it came to my mind... if I jack up the evaporation (by turning on the fans).... and water evaporates..... and water top up faster....

doesn't it equate to changing water? And if change water is to replace lost minerals and stuff... am I not doing that with my additives?

Can someone enlighten me leh?

Juz my 2cents of thoughts...

• SRC Member

when u change water.... u take out some of the old water... with the NO3s.....

so say... before u change water NO3 is 20 ppm....

then after u change water,... it becomes 5 ppl......

geddit???

*koks head for the never ending thread post* :P

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

Just using my logic to answer your questions;

and water evaporates..... and water top up faster....doesn't it equate to changing water?

No, not really, evaopration is only pure water (eg of the distilled water process which uses the evaporation method), all the dirty stuff are still in your tank, except it's more concentrated as it has less water.

doesn't it equate to changing water? And if change water is to replace lost minerals and stuff... am I not doing that with my additives?

No, it is replacing not changing. Nearly all the salt you bought to mix the saltwater contains trace elements, magnesium etc etc. in a way it is adding additives but then not the same quantum and type.

• SRC Member

But technically... based on the debate....

If my denitrifying process is working well as wat bro hotlemond says... my nitrates are being exported by my refugium, DSB, denitrator... blah blah blah.... Then isn't it right to say essentially that water top up equates to water change?

bro muar chee, of cause I know that the whole idea of water change is to reduce Nitrate but if wat if the above is true? and yeah, kok ur head back too... :P

Because think about it, juz a thought lah... a thought that came into my mind...

Most people will pour in RO/DI processed water or distilled water... because remember tap water also brings in unwanted elements that you dun want in ur tank besides those trace elements u want...

And based on wat marineman proposed... if the whole idea of change is to "refresh" the trace elements that is brought about by pre-mix sea salts... Then the quality of your sea salts also matter liao during your water change (Cannot use cheap cheap Red Sea Salt liao... :lol::D )...

And yeah, think about it, isn't it (water top up and change) the same if I add additives and trace elements faithfully on a weekly basis?

And yeah, if water change is to remove gunks and detritus... that should also mean ur skimmer is not working efficiently or that there are dead spots and that ur water flow in the main tank is not able to carry them up to ur water flow..

And if water change must be practised in order to remove gunks and detritus, then can I say it is more effective by siphoning the sand bed than taking the water off from the top?

This is becoming a good debate...

• SRC Member

I think the choice of salt mix is important bearing in mind the type of system you're keeping. For example, if one is keeping a Fish Only tank, then there is no need to pay more for a salt mix that boast higher levels of Calcium.

When I change water, I don't just take water from the top. It is an opportunity to siphon out the detritus that has accumulated in the sump/tank.

• SRC Member
If my denitrifying process is working well as wat bro hotlemond says... my nitrates are being exported by my refugium, DSB, denitrator... blah blah blah.... Then isn't it right to say essentially that water top up equates to water change?

The truth behind water change is that the exact composition of sea water (and its effect on the inhabitants of your tank) is not yet completely understood by scientists. Yes, the main issues are nutrient export and replenishment of trace elements, but there are also other chemical wastes produced in very small amounts that are not skimmed out nor broken down/used by bacteria or plant life. Hence a regular partial water change is to remove some of the old water and to dilute it with new clean water.

Don't forget, you are trying to re-create a massive body of water and a gigantic, complex ecosystem within a small little glass box. The equipment and additives we are currently using are poor substitutes and ultimately the water going in circles round and round is getting less and less healthy for tank inhabitants on a daily basis. :sick:

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

meanwhile, perhaps one of the possibilities for the need of a water change is that the denitrification process isn't coping with the nitrate build up completely and thus its level rises and accumulates over time.

I can't say much about trace element supplement cos there are over a dozen brand and each varies.

Bro seamonkee,

i was thinking of the product "chemi-pure" that brings hope to reefers of less water change. Perhaps you may wan to look at the product's functions so that you may relate it to your existing equipment and filtering system. though i am not suggesting you go get a pack to solve this issue, but may be a nice chance to better understand your system's strength and limitations.

• SRC Member

I am not entirely sure of the idea of topping off evaporate water = changing water, BUT I've seen some reefers who've not changed their water for over a year and they have amazing tanks.

Of course, they have good equipment to maintain the required levels, eg. calcium, magnesium etc.